Menu

PSA: If you lose a prepaid phone and buy a new one ...

Don't keep the same number!  Dd13 lost her cheap tracphone a few weeks ago (at a place where several iPhones were laying around and it was her cheap phone that disappeared.)  She needs a phone this weekend to arrange transportation while we are out of town.  So, I picked up another cheap phone.  It asked me if I wanted to transfer the old number to this new phone (and I was able to transfer the minutes - yay.)  I thought "Sure.  No need to notify everyone that her number changed."  Now that the phone has been activated, I know why I should not have gone that route.  She showed me a couple of texts from unknown numbers that she didn't understand.  I looked up a couple of the words on the texts in an urban slang dictionary.  It looks like the person who swiped her phone has been using it for drug deals.   Good thing it only took a phone call to get her a new number.  And we had a chance to discuss what "swishers" were.

I am thankful that I didn't have the same experience your DD did, after I lost my prepaid phone, 2 or 3 years ago. I had it in a "holster" on my belt and I think it fell out, when I was paying in the supermarket.  I bought a new phone and I paid them to give me a SIM card with the same phone number. I'm glad that your DD has a different phone number now. Whoever found the phone I lost got a good one...  That experience ended any desire I might have had to own an expensive cell phone. The dumb phone I have now is less expensive than the one I lost. 

TFS! I would never have figured that out by myself and I'm sure the K'er is going to need a tracfone a lot sooner than I want to admit.