Menu

Placement tests before choosing curriculum?

My DD, almost 12 is in advanced (called Seminar in our district) classes. I would like to feel confident that I am going to be picking up in HSing right where she is currently (in PS) and not miss a beat, or go backwards. 

I have read that there are math placement tests. Where would I find these and are there other assessment type tests to help me to choose the best curricula based on where she is now rather than by grade?

I'll jump in to start answering your question.

There are many different homeschool math curricula, with different scope & sequence, different approaches.

Maybe you can borrow her math book, AND borrow a friend's math book that you are interested in using.

You can compare the level, sequence, table of contents, etc.

You could also just use the next year's textbook in her current math textbook series, but usually PS books work best if there's a lecture beforehand.

Some review/overlap is good, and as she is transitioning from PS to HS at age 12, you may discover that she needs some "down time" to adjust to all the changes.

Yet another option is to let her take the Chapter Tests in the book you are planning to use, and then when she hits the new material, she can start doing the daily lessons that introduce those new concepts.

The great thing about homeschool is that you can start out with one book, and move at the pace that works best for the child, and maybe change books if needed--and sell the old ones that didn't work. 

Best wishes!

If you're in the U.S., 12 is often the age when kids move from the leveled integrated math books of elementary school to the sequence of pre-algebra, algebra, geometry, algebra II, pre-calculus, calculus... 

I'd find out what the last math book she was working from covered, what she would be doing if she were going to continue in the public schools, what her previous math teacher would recommend and start from there.

If you're not sure, I'd probably start with a pre-algebra textbook since it'll cover arithmetic and move into algebra and you can catch any gaps that might be there.  There are lots of options available!

Good luck!

Most homeschool math curricula have placement tests on their websites. Use those rather than going by grade level. When my son finished one 5th grade program, he placed into a 7th grade program of a couple other publishers. They had different scope and sequences, so the placement tests are a good thing.

You wouldn't need a placement test if you know your child is needing to start Prealgebra, Algebra, etc. Some public schools offer Prealgebra in 6th or 7th grade, and some offer it in 8th. If your DD was supposed to go into Prealgebra the next year, just look at Prealgebra programs. Though if there is a placement test for the curriculum you're wanting to use, do use it. Some curricula are more advanced than others.

For other subjects, placement tests often aren't needed.

I would test her reading grade level and work through the things on either my how to tutor page or my well taught student page depending on how the MWIA and nonsense words tests go. If she is reading below 12th grade level, either of these pages will get her up to 12th grade level, also spelling rules are included.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

If nonsense words are hard or she misses more than 1 word on either section of the MWIA 2 or reads Phonetic words more than 15% slower than Holistic words:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

If nonsense words are easy and she misses no words on either section of the MWIA and reads them at about the same speed:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/WellTaughtPhonicsStudent.html

Fr other subjects, try some samples and see how she does. I like to get my children reading at a 12th grade level so they can easily read any content subjects on their own when they need to, it makes everything else easier.

In addition to looking at her current math book and comparing it to other math texts out there, I would also talk with her about what her math "style" is (does she like her current math text or not?  Why or why not?) , whether or not you want integrated math for high school, and then opt for a math text that really suits her.  Then I would give her the placement test to be sure I put her in the right book.  The reason I say give her the placement test is because, even in gifted programs, districts around here grade inflate everyone and report cards are fairy tales here.

All great feedback, thank you for taking the time!

I am hoping that the haze will begin to clear when we attend a HS conference in June. I am still feeling a bit confused about how to launch into it all!

I have much to learn but this forum has been a GREAT starting point :-)