Menu

First homeschool convention. Any advice?

I'm going to my first homeschool convention this weekend. Any advice? 

(Except to wear a denim skirt or overalls to fit in. That's a given, no?)

Go to workshops.

Don't buy anything in the exhibit hall unless you already know you want it. Pick up the brochures and catalogs, listen to the sales pitches, go home and ponder and *then* order.

That's a great idea. Are products typically cheaper at conventions?

Meh.

Sometimes there isn't shipping (duh, lol), but it's worth paying shipping if you are buying something you've really thought about and it actually does work for you when you get it, as opposed to buying something because the author gave you a great sales pitch so you buy it in the heat of the moment only to find out when you get it home that you can't stand teaching it, or your dc can't stand being in the path of your words when you teach it. :huh:

Go through the whole exhibit hall once through without buying a single thing. Take paper. Anything you want to buy, mark it down with the price and booth number. I've been amazed at how different pricing is for the same stuff at the hall. Life of Fred alone had a $6 difference per book between booths this year. Then, buy the next day knowing you got the best price. :)

Take your spouse if you can. 

If you're already on board with a particular philosophy (the what and why) then look for workshops on application (the how and when .)

If you're not really sure you have an educational philosophy then go to workshops that address different educational philosophies.  It can help you decide which direction to go in so you can make better curriculum decisions. You'll save time, money and energy if you don't have to shift gears later.

Articulating your long term goals can help you evaluate different educational philosophies. You and your spouse should talk about that if you haven't. 

If you're struggling with juggling a household and a homeschool at the same time, be sure to go to workshops that address keeping things running smoothly.  We now have 2 generations who weren't taught household management skills at all.

One of my friends recommends bringing cash only, in an amount she's comfortable spending on unplanned curriculum choices.

I like to plan out which booths and seminars I'm most interested in. I usually only get a few hours to attend, so I have to make it count. Read up on the people presenting - do you have any interest in their products? Can you read some blog posts by them? I find the person teaching matters more than the topic for me.

Ask a lot of questions at the booths. I also like to take pictures of sample pages of books I'm interested in.

You'll love it! So fun.

Make a list of curricula you want to buy, and stick to the list. Bring cash for "fun" purchases and once the cash is gone, stop buying. Don't buy any actual curricula that you weren't planning ahead to buy, because you won't use it...ask me how I know. :) But plan on seeing lots of fun books, games, and activities that you will want to buy - hence the cash.

Look into purchasing some seminar recordings. After the first day, I'm usually burned out on seminars but when I buy the recordings, I will listen to them one at a time over the next few weeks or month. If you don't think you'll listen to them, don't waste your money.

Bring a rolling cart to hold your purchases!

I also say don't buy at the Convention.  It is too easy to get caught up in bright shiny new books.   The only exception to that rule is if they have a used curriculum sale.  Then get there early to try to find things you already want.  I have found fabulous deals that way....But it is only a deal if you are going to use it.  

I noticed your kiddos are young so this is also an opportunity to learn about things you haven't thought about.  An overview of learning styles or homeschooling philosophies.  How you begin is rarely where you finish. 

If you're struggling with juggling a household and a homeschool at the same time, be sure to go to workshops that address keeping things running smoothly.  We now have 2 generations who weren't taught household management skills at all.

That's a great idea. I think I'll make it a point to do that. 

Look into purchasing some seminar recordings. After the first day, I'm usually burned out on seminars but when I buy the recordings, I will listen to them one at a time over the next few weeks or month. If you don't think you'll listen to them, don't waste your money.

Bring a rolling cart to hold your purchases!

Is it pricey to purchase a seminar recording? I mean, I'm sure it's difficult everywhere, but I'm trying to get a ballpark so I have an idea. 

I noticed your kiddos are young so this is also an opportunity to learn about things you haven't thought about.  An overview of learning styles or homeschooling philosophies.  How you begin is rarely where you finish. 

Very true. While I'm happy with what we're doing for now, I do want to have more long-term goals (even though those will probably change too). 

Is it pricey to purchase a seminar recording? I mean, I'm sure it's difficult everywhere, but I'm trying to get a ballpark so I have an idea. 

They typically range between $3-6 per recording, depending on the conference.  Some conferences will have special bundles if you purchase a certain number of recordings.   Sometimes they are available to download from the conference website or store after the fact, and sometimes you have to purchase them there.

When you are interested in two seminars that are being given simultaneously, you can attend one and get the recording for the other.   Sometimes vendor recordings aren't available for purchase, but seminars on household management, discipline issues, learning styles, or "how to get started" are available.