Menu

what are your favorite camping gadgets and things?

ProudGrandma

We have a pop-up camper, but I like to do as much cooking outside as possible so I bring a hotpot for heating water fast, an electric skillet, and an 8-quart Nesco roaster. I do most of my cooking with those items. We have a fold down table that fits in the space underneath my camper table and we set that up outside, and I always pack an extension cord to use there.

Thin cutting boards, metal spatula, rubber bowl scraper, 2 large spoons, paring knife, larger knife, small and medium sized bowls, and a small strainer.

Ours doesn't have a fridge so we're still using coolers.  I've had my best luck with keeping water from leaking into food by packing whatever I can in plastic peanut butter jars and doing a few wraps of duct tape around to seal the lid. Never go camping without duct tape....

A multi-tool that I can find--not stashed with my husband's stuff.

Portable space heater

Also a vote for headlamps. We also really like wind up flashlights and radio. And you prob don't need them in a pop-up, but I love our self inflating sleeping mats. They are so easy to deal with and more comfortable than an air mattress or the floor.

Oh, and fold up chairs for outside.

Whenever we travel I make sure to bring along ziploc bags, scissors, hand wipes and nail clippers. These are little things that we always seem to need no matter what. I actually have these items in the car all the time.

Ditto on head lamps. We also bring flashlights, lighter, gas lamp & stove (unless you're doing only campfire cooking), tarps, lawn chairs, ropes & bungee cords & clothespins, hatchet/hammer, bucket for cleaning things, dish soap, rags.

I love our BAL Leveler. It stabilizes our pop-up so it doesn't rock and it is very easy to level. Most of the sites we go to have electricity, so we have a ceramic heater to augment our furnace. In the summer, we also carry a fan.

We go camping quite a bit, and I also recommend head torches (lamps for those without a British hubby correcting them constantly:)

If you have little ones and still happen to have a kids potty around, it is wonderful for night time!

Last year hubby bought me the coolest non-necessary item that I now wouldn't go camping without. It is a cast-iron sort of sandwich maker you hold over the campfire. If you google 'pie iron' you will find a ridiculous number of delicious and FAST camping meals you can do in it. Hot sandwiches in about a minute. I have done biscuit dough with fillings even! I swear everything tastes better in it, even just a grilled cheese. The best was a grilled Portabello mushroom with onions, garlic and bell peppers I cut up at home ahead of time.

Here is REI's version. We have two and managed to cook for a group of ten:

http://m.rei.com/product/752497/?cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-product-_-7524970014&camp-chef-cooking-iron&preferredSku=7524970014&mr:trackingCode=20834FFE-FB85-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=m&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=44272126720&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=61471034440&msid=WBv92cxc_dm%7Cpcrid%7C44272126720%7C

the pie irons look fun. But I have heard that some of them aren't as good as others....how will I know if i am getting a good one?

Honestly, if I was going to buy my own and was going to use them quite a bit I would go for the square version from Rome Industries. They have the best reviews, and the size shape is perfect for regular bread. Cast iron is a definite plus as they come out much crispier and it seems to cook evenly.

http://www.romeindustries.com/

That being said...whatever you get make sure it has clasps to close them on the sides. I have seen some that do not, only having a sort of mechanism at the top. The reviews and experience with one my mother had says they leak and are a lot harder to clean. I really like the cast iron for the above reasons, but you can get them in aluminum. These are usually cheaper, but it really depends how much you will use them as well:)