Menu

Singapore Science My Pals international version.. question.. supplies..

I volunteered to teach a science class at our Co Op.. the person who taught the course prior could not this year. It is for 8-12 year olds and the books are Singapore Science My Pals are Here 4B international version. ( I did not choose the curriculum)

I got the teacher book, student book and workbook today.. and I'm really worried now.. The program looks great but the specialized science equipment for many of the lessons will be impossible for me to afford..

Has anyone used this and subbed out more affordable options for experiments? What resources did you use? I will take most of the next few weeks and start redoing those chapters.. but ugh.. This does not seem homeschool friendly! 

• 4 weeks later...

I got some Singapore Science. I ditched it when I realized that there were so many other books besides the two I had got. I am going from long term memory here, but I think there was an instructor background book in addition to the instructor guide, plus one or more critical thinking books for students. And every page seemed to have more and more equipment. Actually, I love buying science equipment, but not if it is only used once.

I ended up going with TOPS, similar topics, easy supplies. Perhaps you could combine the two? Or rely on Janice VanCleeve?

• 2 weeks later...

I am using the MPH International 1A/1B level right now and planned to continue on with the series. We were pleasantly surprised and liked it after taking a chance that the new version had been significantly revamped. I was a bit worried because the previous version seemed to get a lot of negative reviews for being poorly organized. It seems laid out in a very similar fashion to the way the PM books are laid out. If I only had the textbook and activity guide, I would be missing a lot of background information so I am happy to have the Teachers Guide even though it was not cheap. 

I am curious as to what specialized equipment that they are asking for at the 4A/4B level? Would you be able to describe that?

Off the top of my head..

Crucibles, burner, graduated cylinders, beakers, light sensor and computer program, spring scale, tall metal poles with a stand and clasps to hold things...

Some things are easy to get.. like a variety of magnets..but other things are quite specific.. and I cannot afford to buy even all of just the basic equipment they assume one has access to in a science lab..so I've had to redo all the experiments..