Menu

Where to buy sodium?

Can I buy a small amount of pure sodium, like and ounce? We have watched the videos on youtube of sodium reacting with water, but ds wants to see it in person. I'm not opposed to the idea as long as it is properly controlled for safety, but I have no idea where one would get sodium. Or potassium, I think it is reactive with water as well.

I found sodium metal on amazon, which I think would work, but only one seller and only as a whole pound for $185. :ohmy:  I definitely don't need that much!

Hmmm.

It comes in oil and explodes on contact w/ moisture, even in the air, just FYI. My high school swimming teacher cleared out a lot of water from the school pool by throwing a chunk in there.

I checked Aldrich where I used to buy chemicals in college and they've discontinued it and are only selling the remaining stock--100g for $100.

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/aldrich/710350?lang=en&region=US

OK, found 10g at Carolina for $22.25

http://www.carolina.com/specialty-chemicals-s/sodium-reagent-grade/FAM_888000.pr?catId=10179&mCat=10148&sCat=10171&ssCat=&question=

If you're going to throw it in water, be careful. As I said, it's packed in oil to prevent moisture from reaching it. It can explode upon contact with the air if you try and cut a cube to make it smaller. If you don't cut it, you're stuck with a certain size cube and you need to ensure you have enough water (and clearance) for the given size. If you want to size it down, do it in a container of oil.

Safety goggles, not safety glasses, are a must.

http://www.carolina.com/specialty-chemicals-s/sodium-reagent-grade/FAM_888000.pr?catId=10179&mCat=10148&sCat=10171&ssCat=&question=

I'd encourage you to find an instructor at a local high school or college who might be willing to show your son using the proper safety equipment and with appropriate background knowledge. Then you wouldn't have to deal with ordering, storage, etc. Having done both while teaching high school, I would never do potassium at home. If done in a demonstration show setting, for increased safety, many demonstrators use a blast shield as well.

If you do it at home, one option for ordering small pieces is Flinn, 5 small demo pieces for $11.30, http://www.flinnsci.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=21210. You'd probably have to call their number to order it and explain your teaching situation—they used to be very cautious about sending things to an address that is not a typical "school."

Erica in OR

Hm. FIL is a metalurgist. I think I'll discuss it with him before making any decisions. Maybe he would be willing to be in charge of this particular project. Ds is already talking to him about melting down pennies to make brass anyway. Apparently it's going to be a science-filled summer. :coolgleamA:

I have personally used sodium metal many times during and after getting a bachelor's degree in chemistry, and would not want to have any significant amount of the stuff in my home.  WAY too many things can go wrong. It is EXTREMELY dangerous and should only be used under protective conditions like a ventilated hood with a safety shield. I would, as another poster suggested, contact a local high school or community college/university science department and ask if they would be willing to do a demo for your child.  Perhaps you could make a field trip out of it for other home schooled families.

There is no way I would ever do an experiment like this inside my home (softball sized hole in the ceiling as EndOfOrdinary mentioned anyone???) and outside is not any safer.  Please find a well controlled, safe laboratory to do the experiment for you.