Menu

Throat injury - child kicked in throat

Allearia

Ds12 was kicked in the throat today by another child. There are some marks and it looks like there will be bruising. Is there anything I should be looking for to see if it is more serious? I googled a bit but the quality of what I found varies widely. He said it did not hurt much but he tends to downplay so I want to be sure. It seems like it would be obvious if his breathing was affected or something like that.,

Once my brother got bumped in the throat. After about six hours of rest, his voice started to sound slightly higher pitched, and when you gently squeezed his throat/neck, there were tiny sounds that sounded like bubble wrap popping or little crackling sounds.  He had to spend a couple nights in the hospital because it can be dangerous, although it healed on its own within a couple of days. There was no obvious swelling, just the odd noise when you pulsated his neck. Thank goodness my sister at the time was interested in studying medicine and told him to go to the hospital to get checked out because she knew that that sound meant that air was leaking out of his windpipe.