Menu

Mental math in Singapore 1b

Coco_Clark

Until now my son has done the mental math suggested each lesson with ease. Now that we are moving along into 1b, however, I'm finding that while he continues to do just fine within the main part of the lesson (where we use base 10 blocks) he is unable to do the mental math suggested. We are adding/subtracting numbers up to 40 with regrouping. He understands the process, but he definitely needs the blocks. I think this is a developmental thing, as he's a young 6.

The question is, what now? Do I stop here until he can do the problems mentally? Do I switch streams and try looking at it with another program (I own Miquon already)? Do I just keep moving forward conceptually while reviewing and waiting for the mental math to catch up?

We're having a similar issue, and dd is starting to get frustrated. My plan is to put Singapore away for a while and just do hands on stuff, maybe with some Miquon mixed in. My plan was to use miquon over the summer. I think dd is just getting a little burnt out working through the mental math every day looking at the workbook.

I would move ahead with Singapore and periodically return and see if he can do the mental math. That gives him time to get caught up developmentally and also allows review. SM has so many methods and "tricks" that my DS, who has no trouble with mental math at the relevant time, gets stuck if we go back and review it later because he can't remember some trick from that lesson a few months later.

I wouldn't worry about it; just put a sticky note at the last successful one and swing back every couple of months and try to move ahead. 

I would move on to a different chapter (time, money, measurement, whatever) and then come back to it. Maybe he is having a hard time "seeing" it in his head when the numbers get bigger? MIF has pretty much the same S&S, and they show a game that uses base-10 blocks and a die. You start with zero, and then roll the die and put that many cubes on a place value mat. When you get more than 10, you regroup and put a 10-rod in the tens place. Then you can play the game counting down from 40 (or 100, or whatever). It helped my son get fluent with regrouping when he adds & subtracts large numbers.

The way we do SM is to do 10 of the mental math problems from the HIG at the start of each lesson.  We work each problem with cuisinaire rods if necessary.  We just keep doing them with c-rods until he can do the c-rods "in his head" basically.  He eventually got to be able to do it in his head.  We are finishing 2b now, and only pull out the rods when there is a new concept to be learned or when a problem just isn't clicking for some reason. 

SM doesn't have much review- that is for you to add in.  So whatever kind of problem is tripping up your ds, just do 2-3 of them at the start of each lesson, with your favorite manipulative, until it clicks!