Menu

Aw, this story made me so sad!!!

Arts and crafts ban at the library?!?!

The short, short version is that an Ontario public library is attempting to drum up more patronage by revamping their activity offerings. There's still space for video gamers, but not for pint-sized knitters. Or any arts or crafts group.

Such a pity. A group that actually used the library is being kicked out in favor of hosting activities to attract people who want nothing to do with a library. I understand the brute force of economics behind it (patronage determines funding), but it's sad to see people who respect and appreciate all that a public library stands for being forced to make way for people who have to be seduced into coming.

The short, short version is that an Ontario public library is attempting to drum up more patronage by revamping their activity offerings. There's still space for video gamers, but not for pint-sized knitters. Or any arts or crafts group.

Such a pity. A group that actually used the library is being kicked out in favor of hosting activities to attract people who want nothing to do with a library. I understand the brute force of economics behind it (patronage determines funding), but it's sad to see people who respect and appreciate all that a public library stands for being forced to make way for people who have to be seduced into coming.

Oh, that is sad and bothersome! Oh well, I guess we will start have to have people in our own homes more.

Oh my, I think I found another soapbox issue. My local library's children's section has computers with video games, and toys galore, and I HATE IT! My kids don't play computer games at home, so when I take them to the library, they're drawn to that. They never want to pick out books. They want to stand a few feet behind the kids playing games and watch. Only in the chapter book section are there no 'putes to distract my kids. GRRRR!

The bolded part, yeah, that is nuts.

Wow, that's frustrating! Esp. when you think that members of a children's craft group would more likely check out books on their hobby than video gamers would.

Haley suggested one way the group could reclaim their old spot.

"If they want to knit in the library, why not formulate a book club and knit as you discuss a book?" she suggested. "Relate it that way and sort of think outside the box."

I wonder if the video game nights will have the same standard. :glare:

Sounds like a "seeker sensitive" library policy to me. (no insult to churches intended)

Where do they keep the video games, right next to the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books and movies? You'd better do some dumpster diving at your local library. You may come up with some wonderful classics!

Sad, sad, sad. I think the librarians might be hoping to find an easy electronic baby sitter. The computer sections, yes there were many at our now flooded library were always filled with loud, obnoxious gamers. Afwiw, my ds loves computer games, but fighting over a terminal when there are so many wonderful books at your finger tips seems wrong.

I wonder if the video game nights will have the same standard. :glare:

Everything has to have a literary focus, except for those events which the library decides to have to attract more users. The rules don't apply if you bring in enough warm bodies (read: tax dollars), in other words.