Menu

Laser printer-scanner-copier recommendations? (x-posted)

Our old inkjet doesn't work more than it does work these days.  It's time to replace it.  The ink cartridges for it were expensive ($40 each), and we do a lot of printing.  I've heard that the cost-per-copy for laser printers is less because the ink is less expensive.  Is this true? If you have a laser printer-copier-scanner that you love, please tell me about it!  Thank you!

ETA:  Most of our printables are black-and-white, though it would be nice to have affordable color printing too.  Is laser what I'm looking for?  Or should I be looking at other inkjet printers?

Here's my post from the previous thread :

"I went in to get a laser printer, but I ended up with with an Epson WP 4530 instead.

It had an excellent cost per print ratio and had all the features I wanted.

HP Office Jet Pro 8600 is similar to the Epson I bought.

I chose the Epson because the paper feed options and it came with full size ink cartridges in the box. The HP came with small size cartridges, I'd have had to buy XL ones seperately.

When I bought it Office Max had it on sale and had a $50 trade in for old printers towards the cost. I traded in an even older printer that I hadn't recycled yet.

Not knowing why you want a laser printer specifically I'd encourage you to check out the different ink options out for ink jets now. Some are less likely to gunk up and you can get more page per print than you used to.

I've only had it two weeks now so I can't speak about the longevity of the product."

So far it is still working great and I am satisfied with my purchase.

Our old color laser printer broke recently and we didn't have the budget to replace it with another color one. So we got this B&W laser when it was on sale for President's Day at ~$90: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YD1V08/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The toner cartridges are expensive ($72) but it claims to do 2000 pages per cartridge.

The one thing I dislike about this printer is that it doesn't have an auto-loader. But the one that did was $300 and not in our budget.

ETA: For color copying/printing, we do have a FedEx Kinko's nearby. We actually ran out of color laser toner a while ago and hadn't bothered to replace the cartridges since we so rarely use the color feature.

I think the price point is around 2,000 so if you print more than 2,000 pages a year than laser should pay off. If you do less you are better off with inkjet.

That said our one and only printer died and DH let me splurge on a very fancy Brother black and white all in one laser. The main reason I wanted the one we got was in less time it takes to do dishes the printer can take a stack of double sided stack of papers, scan both sides in a single past, and make everything into a PDF. Even though it's a black and white laser it scans in color.

We did opt to get a color inkjet, we print color few and far between and even with plans to print the confessions of a homeschoolers letter of the week curriculum which 1500 pages long times year we had a hard time imagining printing more than the 2000 a year to justify color laser.