Menu

Non-religious in Salt Lake City?

Ipsey

I would say that Salt Lake is probably the best place in Utah to live if you aren't religious. It's not going to be the same as living in Los Angeles, but if I were going to live anywhere in Utah, it would be SLC (or Springdale, right outside of Zion Canyon). There will still be "quirks" for lack of a better word, but it will be easier than other places in Utah.

I would say that Salt Lake is probably the best place in Utah to live if you aren't religious. It's not going to be the same as living in Los Angeles, but if I were going to live anywhere in Utah, it would be SLC (or Springdale, right outside of Zion Canyon). There will still be "quirks" for lack of a better word, but it will be easier than other places in Utah.

That's good to know. I have a friend from grad school who is ex-Mo out there. She's a prof now at SLCommunity College with a young family; she tells me it's tough but that she and her family manage it. 

I have serious hesitations, having grown up on the border of "Zion" and having a lot of rather unpleasant experiences, but we really need this job. I've only been in the SL airport! :D

DH and I are both ExMo, with a ton of family and friends in Utah. We've talked about moving back at various times over the years. If we went back, we'd live in the Avenues or Sugarhouse.

I'm pretty sure that SLC itself is only 50% Mormon. Still a huge influence, but nothing like Utah Valley.

I have a neverMo acquaintance who grew up in Utah and is still living there and raising her kids there. She said she didn't really have an issue growing up in SLC.

SLC isn't very Mormon (relatively speaking), but the south part of Salt Lake Valley is, and everyone calls the entire valley Salt Lake.  I'd live in the Avenues too.  There are many families there who aren't Mormon or religious and quite of bit of socioeconomic diversity depending on the part of the Aves you live in, even if there isn't much racial diversity.  When we lived in the Avenues we mostly had friends who weren't Mormon.