Menu

Science for 9th grader--not biology

I am trying to decide on a 9th grade science course for my daughter.  She's an average student & does not have any particular affinity for science, although she likes chemistry & enjoys nature.  In the past, we've done mostly reading/watching documentaries/nature walks for science. For 7th grade, she did Rainbow Science w/ the labs; in 8th she's read the Rainbow text (no labs), The Way We Work, The Way Life Works (Hoagland), The Stuff of Life, King Solomon's Ring, The Chemical History of a Candle, and, currently, Napoleon's Buttons.  She does not want to do biology next year.

I had planned to have her do Hewitt's Conceptual Physics, but I can't find a TM & I don't want to deal with physics without a TM.  Plus, I can't figure out if it counts as "real" physics or not.  I'm considering Derek Owens Physics, but I'd rather not spend money on that right now & I'm not sure if she'll have enough math background for the class anyway. (She's working through Foerster's Algebra I right now.  I'm hoping she'll be done by the end of the summer.) Are there any other viable physics options for her at this point?

If she were in charge, she'd pick chemistry for the upcoming year.  I wanted to use Spectrum with her though & I'm just not sure she'll be ready for it this soon.  I suppose I could have her do Apologia Chemistry instead.  

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help!

Have you looked at PAC Integrated Chemistry and Physics?  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I *think* Derek Owens requires more math than Algebra 1. 

This is the TM I have for Hewitt:

http://www.amazon.com/Conceptual-Physics-Expanded-Technology-Teachers/dp/0201332884/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1396809220&sr=8-12&keywords=Hewitt%27s+conceptual+Physics+teacher

Have you looked at PAC Integrated Chemistry and Physics?  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I *think* Derek Owens requires more math than Algebra 1. 

This is the TM I have for Hewitt:

http://www.amazon.com/Conceptual-Physics-Expanded-Technology-Teachers/dp/0201332884/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1396809220&sr=8-12&keywords=Hewitt%27s+conceptual+Physics+teacher

I have not looked at PAC.  I will do that!  Re: Derek Owens...I had originally though that she'd just need Alg 1, but then after reading on these boards, I decided that I was wrong.  

Thanks for the TM link.  My student book for Conceptual Physics is the college version, but I could get a used high school book instead.

Thank you!

I have not looked at PAC.  I will do that!  Re: Derek Owens...I had originally though that she'd just need Alg 1, but then after reading on these boards, I decided that I was wrong.  

Thanks for the TM link.  My student book for Conceptual Physics is the college version, but I could get a used high school book instead.

Thank you!

We used the high school version of Hewitt, the one with with big wheel on the front. I can get you those ISBNs if you need them.  I've never used Derek Owens so I'm not sure what to expect. 

Another idea for physics might be:  Understanding Physics by David Cassidy.  There was a thread about it not too long ago

If you do some searching for ICP (Integrated Chemistry and Physics) or Physical Science, you will find quite a few choices that will give you half a year of chem and half a year of physics. In many schools that is the standard 9th grade science. BJU has a 9th grade level Physical Science, DIVE does a 9th grade level ICP, we did it secularly with Pearson's Physical Science Concepts in Action.

All of those I mentioned just require Algebra 1. She'll be fine with any of them.

My plan is to use Integrated Chemistry and Physics in 9th and call it Intro to Physics and Chemistry on her transcript.  Would follow it up with another course in 11th - 12th grades in chemistry or physics or maybe  both, depends on what dd wants to take.  Check out HOD's World Geography course for some additions to the PAC course.   http://www.heartofdakota.com/hearts-for-him-through-high-school.php  They use this as science for 9th grade.  

Blessings,

Pat

My plan is to use Integrated Chemistry and Physics in 9th and call it Intro to Physics and Chemistry on her transcript.  Would follow it up with another course in 11th - 12th grades in chemistry or physics or maybe  both, depends on what dd wants to take.  Check out HOD's World Geography course for some additions to the PAC course.   http://www.heartofdakota.com/hearts-for-him-through-high-school.php  They use this as science for 9th grade.  

Blessings,

Pat

Thanks!  I will check it out.

I am trying to decide on a 9th grade science course for my daughter.  She's an average student & does not have any particular affinity for science, although she likes chemistry & enjoys nature.  In the past, we've done mostly reading/watching documentaries/nature walks for science. For 7th grade, she did Rainbow Science w/ the labs; in 8th she's read the Rainbow text (no labs), The Way We Work, The Way Life Works (Hoagland), The Stuff of Life, King Solomon's Ring, The Chemical History of a Candle, and, currently, Napoleon's Buttons.  She does not want to do biology next year.

I had planned to have her do Hewitt's Conceptual Physics, but I can't find a TM & I don't want to deal with physics without a TM.  Plus, I can't figure out if it counts as "real" physics or not.  I'm considering Derek Owens Physics, but I'd rather not spend money on that right now & I'm not sure if she'll have enough math background for the class anyway. (She's working through Foerster's Algebra I right now.  I'm hoping she'll be done by the end of the summer.) Are there any other viable physics options for her at this point?

If she were in charge, she'd pick chemistry for the upcoming year.  I wanted to use Spectrum with her though & I'm just not sure she'll be ready for it this soon.  I suppose I could have her do Apologia Chemistry instead.  

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help!

I asked a similar question when I was thinking about using Hewitt's CP.  I realize you are also asking about other viable physics options or chemistry options, but I thought you might find this thread interesting:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/322971-non-mathy-physics-in-9th-is-conceptual-physics-a-solid-high-school-course/

We did use Hewitt's CP in 9th grade.  My dd completed Alg. I in 8th grade and was taking geometry along with the CP course.  This year in 10th grade, she is taking Alg. II and Apologia Chemistry outsourced.  I really struggled with the chemistry decision.  I had to choose between this outsourced Apologia class or Spectrum at home.  It worked out well for us; the chemistry teacher is wonderful.  I thought Spectrum would be a good choice for us too, but I really did not want to have to teach or oversee it.   (We also tried DO Physics, but she had not covered enough Algebra I to understand the math in this physics class.  I would have loved for her to use the DO Physics.)  CP ended up being what we used, and during this year in chemistry, dd is so grateful that she took the CP course.  She learned the concepts in CP that are now being discussed in chemistry, and she is finding chemistry "easy" to understand because of CP.  

I asked a similar question when I was thinking about using Hewitt's CP.  I realize you are also asking about other viable physics options or chemistry options, but I thought you might find this thread interesting:

Thank you so much for linking that thread!  I am going through it & it is very helpful.  Which books did you end up using for your daughter's physics course?

Thank you so much for linking that thread!  I am going through it & it is very helpful.  Which books did you end up using for your daughter's physics course?

I have this edition.

We also used a Labpaq lab, but I'm not sure what is going on with that company.  Seems like some have had trouble ordering with them.  I don't remember right off which lab set we ordered, but it only had something like 9 labs in it.  My dh went through CP with our dd, and he only scheduled about 6-7 of the labs.  There were just a few that were too math/concept heavy for her.

I have this edition.

We also used a Labpaq lab, but I'm not sure what is going on with that company.  Seems like some have had trouble ordering with them.  I don't remember right off which lab set we ordered, but it only had something like 9 labs in it.  My dh went through CP with our dd, and he only scheduled about 6-7 of the labs.  There were just a few that were too math/concept heavy for her.

Thanks!  Did you also use the TM, lab manual, problem solving exercises &/or any of the other workbooks?

Thanks!  Did you also use the TM, lab manual, problem solving exercises &/or any of the other workbooks?

We used both the student and teacher texts.  I have the problem solving book, but we did not use it.  I am sort of interested in seeing the Concept Development book, but I'm not sure it is worth buying.  In the TM, Hewitt makes some comment about this book being the most helpful because of the drawings and explanations..... Seems like several years ago, I found a web page where I could see inside this book.  Amazon does not have a see inside version.  I should try somewhere else online.

Because we used Labpaq, we did not use Hewitt's lab manual.

Some like the Teaching Company's Physics in Your Life to pair with CP.  I have it too, but didn't use it for two reasons... First, there was not time to do everything and second, this student didn't like the presentation.

We used both the student and teacher texts.  I have the problem solving book, but we did not use it.  I am sort of interested in seeing the Concept Development book, but I'm not sure it is worth buying.  In the TM, Hewitt makes some comment about this book being the most helpful because of the drawings and explanations..... Seems like several years ago, I found a web page where I could see inside this book.  Amazon does not have a see inside version.  I should try somewhere else online.

Because we used Labpaq, we did not use Hewitt's lab manual.

Some like the Teaching Company's Physics in Your Life to pair with CP.  I have it too, but didn't use it for two reasons... First, there was not time to do everything and second, this student didn't like the presentation.

Thank you!