Menu

I need help planning out our latin prep

Stirsmommy

I have already posted on the galore park yahoo group but since there hasn't been a new message on there in a week I am hoping to get a quick fix here.

I am facing trying to decide if this is a two day class or a three day. What do you find better? Then how many class times (not including reviews) do you spend on each unit? And finally, I also got the workbooks that look like test books to me, does anyone use them as a quiz to see if the material is sinking in for their kids?

TIA

Melissa

Personally, we do our language studies every day. I think it depends on your goals really. For modern languages we want to be fluent. For Latin and Greek we want to read original works one day. To this end, they work hard and consistency helps reach these goals.

As for scheduling time, we have found that Latin Prep can take from 15 to 45 minutes. It really depends on the concept being taught and the type of exercise. One of my children finds it easier to go from English to Latin while the other likes Latin to English better. The stories can take quite awhile too so I usually split those up over 2 days.

This post may help you as well.

Oh and I don't have the workbooks so I can't offer anything on those. I do know Abbey has found them helpful in the class she taught.

HTHs,

To really learn a foreign language it is much better to have more frequent lessons. Daily study is really important, like it is with math. That said, I have to confess that my 7th grader and I were very casual with Latin Prep last year, on purpose, only doing lessons 2 days a week. Sometimes we even skipped weeks, so we only got halfway through the first book. But we were only getting our feet wet, having fun with it, so I wasn't fretting about it all.

This year I want to be serious about it, and it will be a daily subject. Some days will only be studying and memorization work for him, but it has to be a daily reinforcement. I don't have the workbooks, will likely pick them up before long though, just to have some extra translating practice.

I don't schedule how much time per chapter as some of the chapters are really long and seem to introduce a lot. During our casual year we'd just move to the next thing, doing a few pages at a time, and I don't think things will change that much this year, we'll just more forward more rapidly because we will be doing it daily.

Hopefully you'll get some more answers from though who have more experience than I!

The way I do it at the moment is to alternate days. So Latin Prep is getting done for 30 minutes Mon and Wed, French Prep Tue and Th. Friday we are out too long to fit in a language.

It's not ideal- ideal would be 30-45 minutes a day of each- but we decided it was better to do one language for a solid 30 minutes a day, than try and do two for 15 minutes each.

I am working within my own constraints and this is working quite well for us. We are doing most of it orally, so we are getting through quite a lot of work in 30 minutes.

We're another Latin Daily family. Our "planning" is quite elementary. I simply schedule 45 minutes per day. My son does as much as he can do in that time frame. Usually this means that he completes at least one lesson, sometimes as many as two. When the time's up, he just stops where he is and picks up there the next day.

We need to do some Latin work daily, or the next lesson can be a struggle. Even if you decide on two days a week, I would plan on a brief "review" or memory work on the other days.

We do one exercise a day, and any reading that comes in front of the exercise. If the exercise is a paragraph to translate, we do that in three sessions. First, we read and translate orally, then answer the first questions. The next session, the dc writes the translation out, usually on a white board. The final session, we go over the grammar questions.

I am having my dd use the workbooks. She was getting bogged down around Chapter 4, and forgetting very basic information. I am having her use the workbooks to review up to Chapter 5, then we are going to go back to the main book, using the workbook exercises for each chapter as extra practice. I could see how you could use them as tests, if you wanted to.

We generally spend about 30 minutes a day on it. We used the workbooks last year so we would spend about a little over a week on a chapter.

Here is a sample chapter from Book One of Latin Prep:

Day One: read introduction and page 5-6 and do exercise 1.1

make flashcards for vocabulary

Day 2: drill vocabulary, read pg 7 and 8, do ex 1.2 and 1.3

Day Three: drill vocabulary, workbook exercises 1.1-1.4 drill vocabulary

Day 4: drill vocabulary, text pg 9-10 exercise 1.6-1.7

Day 5: drill vocabulary, text page 12-13 exercise 1.8-1.10

Day 6 drill vocabulary, workbook 1.5-1.9

Day 7: drill vocabulary, workbook 1.10-1.11

Day 8: drill vocabulary, workbook 1.12