Menu

Places to order age appropriate fancy dresses in custom sizes?

jenn-

I have a friend who has twin daughters that is in a pickle because they are in a wedding.  Although they are both the same height, one girl is quite meaty (not really fat but athletic meaty bones) and the other looks like she would fly away if a breeze caught her just right.  We were talking about the fact she was probably going to have to spend as much in alterations for the super skinny girl as she will on the dress.  That got me to thinking there has to be some reputable people she could give measurements to and get a dress that will fit her daughter correctly with needed additional alterations.  I am sure the dress will be a little pricier then getting one off of a rack, but without needing alterations she could probably come out on top.  The wedding isn't until October so she would have plenty of time to wait for a custom order.  Does the Hive have any experience (good or bad) with a particular online shop that offers this?  My friend lives on Long Island if any of the New York ladies have a suggestion for a local place to her.

Bridal designers like Joan Calabrese, who specializes in flower girl type dresses, usually have samples in upscale bridal stores.  You then order the dress in the size you need, and it is custom made for you.  They aren't cheap (think $300 and up), but you will get a dress that fits.  I would find an upscale (non-big-box) bridal shop, and see what they have to offer.

I was going to suggest David's Bridal, but that's more like you pick a dress and have alterations done.

Alterations are usually only like $50.  Both my flower girl and my SIL's flower girl got dresses there (5 years apart) and they were each $99.  Mine didn't need hers altered - hers did. 

Idk, it depends on how much you want to spend I guess. 

I find that it is easier to have a seamstress make dresses from scratch. I found someone who doesn't charge too much and works out of her house. You can get exactlly what you want, for example, elbow length sleeves might be more flattering on the larger girl than short sleeves.

I find that it is easier to have a seamstress make dresses from scratch. I found someone who doesn't charge too much and works out of her house. You can get exactlly what you want, for example, elbow length sleeves might be more flattering on the larger girl than short sleeves.

I was thinking that she needs to find a seamstress and just have them made.  There is no dress that is going to come off the rack at a size 12 (for length) and then be sized down to a size 6 around and still look good.  She will have an easier time with her heavier girl because she can get the right size around and just get it hemmed to the correct length.