Menu

X-Post: Mathcounts MiddleSchool Contest Team Prep

Shannon just got invited to participate in a local Mathcounts team for middle schoolers.  She is beyond excited - and I'm so excited that she is! Before this year, and our heavy focus on problem solving, I don't know that she would have been.  I'm so proud of her growth in math this year.

Anyhow, my question is: how can I help her prep?  I'm starting her on Alcumus, and she'll be starting AoPS Intro Algebra in September - she's finishing up Zaccaro Real World Algebra and Jousting Armadillos now, and still needs to cover the pre-geometry and pre-statistics bits of preAlgebra.  So I feel like I have basic curriculum covered, but what about contest prep, problem solving books? I've seen lists and lists, but I'm wondering based on y'all's experience, what are the very best?  If you had to pick just one (or your top 3) what would they be?

I'm all  :bigear: , but on one of my threads, someone recommended Mathcounts Problems of the week. The archives of past weeks is here.

They are easy to add each week, IMO. (Hard to wait for the 'answers,' so we tend to be a week behind the current one so we can go & look up the answers immediately.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hooray for your dd!  But as a MC coach myself, I have to ask:  is your team already preparing for next year?   :crying:

I'd go to the MC online store and check out the books they have.  (Many of these are also available on Amazon.)  Also, this year's competitions are now being posted, along with solutions to previous years.

Finally there are the MC Minis which are shorter problem sets on one topic with an aligning Rucszyk video.  Good luck!

Congrats! I coach a mathcounts team and have taken students to state the past several years. Our team is hoping to make it as a team next year as two of the students made it as individuals and all of our team is returning.

A solid base curriculum is the best thing for mathcounts. It is also pretty easy to learn some basic counting and probability.

My favorite two resources for preparing students are Alcumus and Mathcounts Minis (both free). To find the minis, just google mathcount mini and you'll find it. The first year (1-9) of the minis have worksheets, but no solutions. The rest all have solutions as well. Do both the worksheet and video.

If I were to buy one book for test prep it is Comnpetition Math for Middle School. However, don't let this take the place of solid learning of math.

My favorite two resources for preparing students are Alcumus and Mathcounts Minis (both free). To find the minis, just google mathcount mini and you'll find it. The first year (1-9) of the minis have worksheets, but no solutions. The rest all have solutions as well. Do both the worksheet and video.

I think you recommended the Minis to me some weeks ago.  I've been working through them in preparation for next year, and they are great.  Thanks!