Menu

Help me pick out gifts for toddlers

Slache

My mother in law likes to start Christmas shopping early and I wanted to prevent a continual repeat of history. She chooses to spend a few hundred dollars on really horrible inexpensive toys for the kids so they can have lots of toys. She doesn't get that we are not a "toy" family, and besides, WE LIVE IN A 2 BEDROOM APARTMENT AND DON'T HAVE SPACE!!

I just gave away about $100 in toys because they don't play with them. Blocks, dolls, cars and art supplies are all we really do around here. We're too busy for much else. I made a list last August but it was too late. She didn't like it anyway and thought my ideas were stupid and not "kid friendly". 

This year I'm making a list now, before she starts, and making my husband deal with her. So, what would you get my kids?

John turns 4 in November. He's rowdy, tough and brilliant. Mary turned 1 in February. She's a princess that prefers fine fabrics, fine art, and jazz music. Here's what I have:

John-Sketchbooks, some nature/hiking things, a particular Astronomy documentary he loves, local baseball team jacket and Tinker Toys (yes, I know those are toys)

Mary-Baby jewelry, maracas, Van Gogh blanket, and a butterfly garden I would tend for her

Both-More mega clocks, GeoPuzzles, and gift cards to Cirque Du Soleil/Zoo/Stomp/Chuck-E-Cheese/Aquarium

Thanks for your input.

ETA: I've added Smencils, Bubber, Playsilk, Moonsand, Magna-Tiles, and a stethoscope. I don't want Snap Circuits Jr. for a 4 year old, right?

For John:

Window Blocks

Light and Color Blocks

Straws and Connectors

A small, good quality set of dinosaurs, knights, peg people or other figures (like those from safariltd.com/group, www.schleich-s.com/en/US/toys/, or www.etsy.com/search/handmade?q=peg%20people&ship_to=US) with a bin for storage

For Mary:

Rainbow play silk

Baby in a basket

Tea set, with a bin for storage

Small doll care kit

p.s.  Please check your messages.  I sent you one a while back.  :)

I'm thinking you'd be best off trying to hit a compromise with 'toys' which are high quality and easily stored. In my limited experience, they're much more likely to go for something which is a nice compromise between your criteria and theirs than something that goes against what they value. So, toys...

Interstar bricks are very versatile

Lauri puzzles and fine motor skill activities are good, and they have a 'primer pak' and 'toddler tote' which have a nice range, you could ask for one for each of them.

A gorgeous book box set like http://www.ebay.com/itm/111099637700?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 or http://www.ebay.com/itm/111165968324?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Some playdough toys? Or something like moon sand or bubber 

I'm thinking you'd be best off trying to hit a compromise with 'toys' which are high quality and easily stored. In my limited experience, they're much more likely to go for something which is a nice compromise between your criteria and theirs than something that goes against what they value. So, toys...

Interstar bricks are very versatile

Lauri puzzles and fine motor skill activities are good, and they have a 'primer pak' and 'toddler tote' which have a nice range, you could ask for one for each of them.

A gorgeous book box set like http://www.ebay.com/itm/111099637700?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 or http://www.ebay.com/itm/111165968324?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Some playdough toys? Or something like moon sand or bubber 

Unfortunately she doesn't work that way. If he doesn't tell her what to do she demands to have things exactly her way and then claims I never said anything.

What's the point of moon sand? Is it just sand? Sand is cool, but is this special?

I need the Pooh books. Now. No, yesterday. Those are fantastic.