Menu

X-Post: Things Fall Apart

never

We read it as part of the IB program in PS when I was 16, and no one liked it, pretty much.  I found it really hard to access (although it might be easier if you're asking for a boy); there was little in it that I could recognize or relate to, and it was super depressing.

But if you're determined to read it, I'd say it's about a 9th/ 10th grade reading level? 

We did it with History Odyssey level 2 Modern which is aimed at 8th grade. DS was only 6th grade at the time but working well above that level. In the context of the history of the time, and with a kid who had a lot of cross cultural experience already, it was perfect timing for him. I wouldn't do it at that age for most kids though.

It was one of my compulsory literature text in public school when I was in 9th grade, together with Macbeth, Julius Ceasar and Oedipus Rex.

Oh, that sounds like a fantastic combination!  It is definitely a Tragic book, and it reminds me of both Macbeth and Oedipus Rex - the hero who carries the seed of his own doom within him, and the outside circumstances exacerbate the situation, but you know he was going down anyway . . . . This sounds like a great lit study for in a couple of years!

We did it with History Odyssey level 2 Modern which is aimed at 8th grade. DS was only 6th grade at the time but working well above that level. In the context of the history of the time, and with a kid who had a lot of cross cultural experience already, it was perfect timing for him. I wouldn't do it at that age for most kids though.

Yes, the fact that we are studying modern history, colonialism, and Africa - and the fact that I found it such a deeply impactful book - is what made me consider doing it this year.  But I talked it over with dd and we decided to wait.

We are gong to use History Odyssey's Level 2 Modern curr this year so I guess I"d better take a look at that and see if my 8th grader is ready.

An 8th grader should be fine with it in the context of HO2 Modern. I was saying I wouldn't do it with most 6th graders since the OP was considering it for her 11 year old.

An 8th grader should be fine with it in the context of HO2 Modern. I was saying I wouldn't do it with most 6th graders since the OP was considering it for her 11 year old.

I agree, I wouldn't hesitate with an 8th grader who was studying Modern History.  I just feel like for my particular (young) 6th grader, I'm trying hard not to push her into books that are too mature too soon.  I have to hold myself back a lot, because her reading ability is there, but it's the emotional maturity, readiness, and interest for some topics that aren't there yet.  Which is fine! She's just 11.