Menu

I'm excited about our school this year!

I'm approaching it with more structure, more organization, and I am feeling great about the curriculum.

I've made notebooks for everyone. Instead of "just" assigning "5 Saxon Lessons a week", I ran lined paper through the printer for each lesson and put the 5 corresponding lessons behind the numbered week.

Instead of "1 Primary Language Lesson a day", I ran lined paper through the computer for each lesson, and added those behind the correct numbered tabs.

Instead of "Spelling Test, Page 141, Spelling Workout", I ran the SW test sheets through the computer for each student for the first month, putting 3 tests in each week, already customized, named and labeled.

I have a milk crate full of books to remove the binding, hole punch and add to the binders, divided up by weeks. (LLATL, Classical Writing).

Our Latin (Lively Latin) will be added, too, as I print it out.

We'll be using:

Saxon Math

A/O Lifepac math as supplement for the 2 youngest boys

Lively Latin

LLATL - Finishing Yellow and Tan books

Classical Writing

Wordsmith Apprentice

Wordsmith

Spelling Workout

Write with the Best

Considering God's Creation

Great Science Adventures (starting with Earth)

Primary Language Lessons

Intermediate Language Lessons

Simply Grammar

English for the Thoughtful Child

The Grammar Key

IEW - TWSS

Finish SOTW, reading and some of the activity book resources

Reading/Discussion of MFW Geography/World Cultures

All of my students need intense work on grammar, writing, composition

And age/grade level suggestions from Latin Centered Curriculum:

The Fellowship of the Ring

Tales from Shakepeare

Mere Christianity

Boys and Girls Plutarch

The Odessy and Iliad

Aeschylus I

(these I will likely "only" tackle with my kids)

Tuesdays are American History with "just us" and my clients students the same at home. I'm going to be sending the Roman History portion of Lively Latin for Tuesdays as well.

I'm thinking also of units on: Elections, Drugs/Alcohol, Native Americans, Hospitality/Etiquette

I hope to "squeeze" a membership to the Zoo and to the Natural Science Museum into our budget and to go somewhere a couple of times a month. I have a call into the Houston SPCA to see if I can organize a few of their (free!) classes.

That sounds like an excellent plan. Who do you have remove your bindings? I've been using something like this year-at-a-glance

http://smoothstonesacademy.blogspot.com/2008/07/2nd-grade-year-at-glance.html (hers is more attractive than mine) and it helps so much in terms of keeping on top of who has a test, what assignments should be done and especially with high schoolers who have papers due.

Wishing you the best of years!