Menu

Biblioplan - if you are using or have used will you help me out?

abrightmom

I'm looking at Medieval and still perusing samples.  I'd appreciate a general review and the likes/dislikes or pros/cons of this program. 

What are your thoughts on the Companion? Do you use it as the spine? Does it read like an encyclopedia? 

Does it work to use SOTW or MOH as the spine or does it feel disjointed? 

Will you review the Cool History pages for me? Do they invigorate the learning? Are they valuable to you? I do like Notebooking and wonder if the history pages would feel like we are just answering comprehension questions that could be answered in an oral narration. Do the logic stage pages ask for a bit more than just fact regurgitation? 

Reviews of the maps and the crafts? 

I love the flexible structure I see in the Biblioplan samples. I appreciate the massive list of resources to choose from and that I can highlight, cross out, change things up at will. The maps look great. It gives me a lot to work with in a 3 day a week schedule with the option to add reading/writing for my oldest on the 4th day. However, I've always shied away because I'm not excited about the Companion and I'm nervous about the Cool History pages. 

:)

ETA: After perusing the Cool History Pages I'm excited about them. There are plenty of interesting questions and many of them ARE thinking type of questions. Additionally, I see there is a Family Discussion Guide. LOVE this for adding depth for my oldest. 

We used BP for Middle Ages and while we are taking a break this year and next to do US History, my plan is to go back to BP when we start the cycle again. Even with a 2nd and Ker we used the Companion. I found it very helpful for tying everything together (it gave me the big picture), and for the church history component. The maps are great. We only used the cool histories for littles, but I think the older ones look even better. 

I am curious myself how MOH works with it as I may want to use that the next time around...

Oh the crafts. I actually loved the crafts. They aren't just cut and paste projects and my kids had a great time with them. 

I did a review on my blog here. 

HTH!

Hi!  I am using BiblioPlan Year 2, getting ready to finish up for the year.  I used it with my 3rd grader this year (and a Kinder tag-along).  I like the variety of choosing spines.  The Companion had really interesting readings in it and it is pretty colorful.  The biggest drawback to it was that a lot of the reading was over my daughters head and she lost interest.  But- some of the sections were really interesting and not something that we read about in SOTW so I would pick n' choose what we wanted to read from the Companion.  (I really enjoyed the reading for myself)  The cool history questions were interesting.  I originally purchased the Cool History for Middles (I believe it said it was for grades 3 to 6) but we found them too hard so I went back and purchased the Cool History for Littles and that was a little bit more our speed. (There was not much difference in the questions other than the way they were phrased, short answer vs. longer)  

We do it this way:  We read SOTW.  We use the SOTW questions/narrations.  Then we read selections from Cool History that are interesting. Then we answer the Cool History Questions (the downside is that you can't always answer them all if you didn't read all the selections it recommended).  We did the Giants of the Faith activities, keeping a Giants of the Faith notebook.  We didn't do all of their geography in favor of doing the SOTW maps which I felt were less cluttered.  The maps with BP would be better for older children though in that you can label quite a bit more than you do with the SOTW maps.  We did do the oral geography questions at the bottom of the cool history though, it was a little more hands on.

Some Pros of BiblioPlan IMO:  

I love the variety it schedules.  

Optional spines are a great resource and we really like SOTW.  

I also like that they offer free eBooks with links as some optional reading

The crafts were about 50/50 for us.  Many of the activities were fun but some, like creating chain mail out of paper clips?  Uhm, no.  

They schedule the Classical Conversations timeline cards and the VP timeline cards as well which is nice.

There are recommendations for Drive Thru History and other videos.  

Plus-you are not locked into reading any literature in particular in order to answer questions or do a worksheet, you can sub/tweak to your hearts content.

3-day a week schedule is pretty nice

I read ahead and enjoyed reading the MOH selections and Famous Men series and I think they would sub SOTW selections nicely for bigger kids.

Some Cons (for me anyway):  

The Companion is over my daughters head and I found myself skipping the readings from it...which meant I skipped the cool history questions.  

Or I had to read ahead to find the answers so I made sure to read the sections that had the answers to the questions in it...

The Timeline is not nearly as nice as Sonlights (I really love Sonlights Book of Time with the stickers).  

Several of the family read-alouds were over my daughters head and at least 4 of them (so far) were just pretty boring for us.  (I ended up choosing readers from their 3-6th selection as read alouds)

Not to mention several of the read alouds were more obscure and my library just didn't have them, even though inter library loan.

The read aloud, The Shadow Spinner, is about a girl who lives in a Harem and I found myself explaining what a Harem was to my 8 year old...I wasn't quite prepared for that conversation.  LOL.    

I'm a box-checker personality and it was hard to read SOTW out of order for my Type A personality.

Again I worked a level ahead and didn't find the writing portion for older students to be very rigorous and for the youngers we just skipped it (mostly copy work and we get plenty of that across the curriculum)

For the older kids reading you will need to purchase Lit guides of some kind, they do not provide anything for you.

I didn't buy the family question guide but I bet that would add some rigor to the program.

I think BP will be awesome for older kids, but for my littles...  well, it was good, but just not great.  I was really torn between TOG and BP and after a year of doing BP I'm considering trying TOG next year to see what I think.  Or just using SOTW and filling in my own readers.  I liked the BP schedule for sure, I loved the options and variety, and the 3-day schedule.  I'm not sure if I helped any or not since my daughter is younger and I can't give a great opinion on the Middles-Uppers?  Probably not so much.   :confused1:

Stephanie,

Your review was fantastic and quite helpful. :)

I can understand why it may have been a lot for a family with the oldest being in 3rd. I am certain that some of what didn't work for you would be ideal for my oldest who will be 12(!) this fall. My older three will be 6th, 4th/5th and 3rd so modifying the way you did (SOTW maps, easier Cool History) works for my younger and the more challenging aspects (harder books, drier reading, dense maps, harder questions) adds oomph for the older. Having a variety with an order to things is what I need.

Sonlight's book of time is gorgeous. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding the reliability/scholarship of the BP companion....abrightmom, I have read in other threads where you mentioned your concern.  I also had the same questions when looking over the info about the current and previous authors and seeing that most did not seem to have history related credentials.  Is this still a concern for you, or have you found reviews/information that have reassured you?  Does anyone else have any input on this?

Just looking through the Year 2 Medieval sample, my first reaction is that I love it.  As someone who is most definitely not a history scholar (and with no time to become one now) I like what the companion has to offer in the way of giving me the big picture as well as filling in some key details.  I don't mind a textbook feel, because adding in literature is no biggie.  However, I do want my spine to be reliable. :) 

I'm all ears if anyone has something to add....

Regarding the reliability/scholarship of the BP companion....abrightmom, I have read in other threads where you mentioned your concern.  I also had the same questions when looking over the info about the current and previous authors and seeing that most did not seem to have history related credentials.  Is this still a concern for you, or have you found reviews/information that have reassured you?  Does anyone else have any input on this?

Just looking through the Year 2 Medieval sample, my first reaction is that I love it.  As someone who is most definitely not a history scholar (and with no time to become one now) I like what the companion has to offer in the way of giving me the big picture as well as filling in some key details.  I don't mind a textbook feel, because adding in literature is no biggie.  However, I do want my spine to be reliable. :)

I'm all ears if anyone has something to add....

Hmmmm.

I didn't come to any resolution about the Companion and I received minimal feedback. The Moms who used it and responded did say they liked it. I printed up a hunk of it along with the samples for Medieval and they're sitting in my Desk Apprentice. It's possible I will try it for 3 weeks and see how I like using it.  Everything is ready to go except for a few books. From what I can tell based upon the samples I have printed out the kids really need to use the Companion to do their Cool History sheets. Shrug. We can get plenty of variety in reading from the literature list. Honestly, I just want history to get done and be reasonably enjoyable. I am past being overly picky or scheduling 1000 supplemental things to "round out" history …. I want streamlined and while Biblioplan can be streamlined I feel a little ADD with all of the options on the page. For some reason, having choices induces guilt. This is why I should TRY using it in a streamlined way for 3 weeks and then assess. Three measly weeks … I can do this! It might be better for me to use straight SOTW and beef up for the oldest. 

Are you willing to try Biblioplan for a year and come to a conclusion on your own? Perhaps you should try the 3 week sample. You can put the Companion on an iPad (which is what I meant to do; the printing fiasco still haunts me … I printed dozens of pages by accident!). It's hard to decide based upon what others say.

We used BP for Middle Ages and while we are taking a break this year and next to do US History, my plan is to go back to BP when we start the cycle again. Even with a 2nd and Ker we used the Companion. I found it very helpful for tying everything together (it gave me the big picture), and for the church history component. The maps are great. We only used the cool histories for littles, but I think the older ones look even better.

I am curious myself how MOH works with it as I may want to use that the next time around...

Oh the crafts. I actually loved the crafts. They aren't just cut and paste projects and my kids had a great time with them.

I did a review on my blog here.

HTH!

Love your blog post! I am leaning toward Bibluoplsn for next year as we start our first cycle, TWTM way. I'm using SL Core G for my books but had already planned on adding in MOH Vol 1-4 along the way over the next 3 years.

Great insight and help. I'll be buying the BP for the schedule mostly because I love the discussion questions that come w/ SL. I found a used older IG that doesn't include the LA just for those questions.

Thanks!

Abrightmom-- Have you looked at TOG? If so, what made you decide to try biblioplan vs that. I have some of the same concerns as you. I've been debating TOG/MFW and now am adding BP back into that list! I think if SOTW or MOH were the spine I'd use it in a second. I just am not sure about the Companion.

Abrightmom-- Have you looked at TOG? If so, what made you decide to try biblioplan vs that. I have some of the same concerns as you. I've been debating TOG/MFW and now am adding BP back into that list! I think if SOTW or MOH were the spine I'd use it in a second. I just am not sure about the Companion.

Hi LAMom,

Funny that you ask about TOG. I read a recent thread in which you were asking questions and going around about it. Based upon that thread I think you should use MFW for a year and then evaluate. 

Put simply, TOG is more than I want or need. Having to sift and sort through something so immense is not comfortable for me. I prefer something streamlined (like MFW or SOTW) that I can build upon as needed. It's much easier for me to ADD to something or BEEF it up accordingly. I don't see myself committing to a curriculum that would take us through high school. Who knows what the future holds. I like much of what I see with MFW's high school (with a few exceptions) and I don't feel overwhelmed at planning it myself. There are so many options for high school: outsourcing local courses, online courses, etc. My kids may have gifts, abilities, interests, and personal direction by high school and I am not interested in committing to something like TOG for those years. It's easy to SAY that to justify the expense and investment but honestly, life changes too much for that kind of long term commitment for my family. 

I haven't tried Biblioplan beyond printing the samples, filing them, and looking over the book list to see if I have enough to give it a good trial run. Frankly, every option leaves me dissatisfied which is the REAL issue (me). I am learning to put my big girl pants on and teach through the challenges, using whatever tool I have chosen for the current season. Biblioplan could work and so could MFW. You should try the one that you think is ideal for you (and you CAN try 3 weeks of Biblioplan). 

I am growing more fond of not committing to anything history wise and just enjoying it "seasonally". The kids and I have been reading through Rush Limbaugh's history books and LOVING them. We enjoy Drive Thru History videos and Horrible Histories books/vids. We read widely, talk a lot, etc. My oldest devours books and learns a lot. I do want to study the Medieval era as well as the Modern era more in depth which is why I think that MFW might be the best fit for me the next 3 years (RTR, Exp-1850, 1850-MOD). There are PLENTY of things I can do to beef up for my oldest and keep him hopping in middle school. EVERY subject does not need to be hard. History can be something we simply enjoy as a family and he's a HUGE fan of listening to stories being read though he's an avid reader himself. 

Ha, ha...did you reply to me on that post?! Probably. So, you picked MFW for me. OK. I should listen. Then if it doesn't work I'll blame you. :). So, you will try BP for 3 weeks and if a no-go then MFW? See, I want TOG in my future because of the discussions and the way they tie things in biblically. Because TOG is on my radar I keep questioning why I am not just trying to make it work now. But it is so complicated for where I am at now. Thanks for your input. You'll have to let me know how BP goes for you!

Put simply, TOG is more than I want or need.

I haven't tried Biblioplan beyond printing the samples, filing them, and looking over the book list to see if I have enough to give it a good trial run. Frankly, every option leaves me dissatisfied which is the REAL issue (me).

This.

I was debating MFW/TOG/BP and will be going with MFW next year.  I will add in Sonlight read-alouds. 

I requested every book I could get my hands on that BP had on their list for the year and did the same for TOG.  Then I checked out their samples in-depth. 

TOG had an immense amount of stuff to do, but I don't feel like history is THE most important subject above all else.  If I did, I would choose TOG.  However, I think Bible, Math and LA are more important.

I actually tended to like the BP books better for the grammar-aged students, but the Companion would have been over my kids heads, so what's the point?

MFW looks like they have what I need. I'll try it for a year and check it out.

Ha, ha...did you reply to me on that post?! Probably. So, you picked MFW for me. OK. I should listen. Then if it doesn't work I'll blame you. :). So, you will try BP for 3 weeks and if a no-go then MFW? See, I want TOG in my future because of the discussions and the way they tie things in biblically. Because TOG is on my radar I keep questioning why I am not just trying to make it work now. But it is so complicated for where I am at now. Thanks for your input. You'll have to let me know how BP goes for you!

No, I didn't reply to you :001_smile: It sounds like you want TOG but think MFW is more doable right now. What gets done is truly FAR better than biting of more than you can chew. MFW is balanced too. It took me a couple of stupid, wasted years to figure out that MFW's paradigm really can make homeschooling happen for families with kids close together in age. They cover a lot of ground while remaining realistic about what can actually get DONE day to day. MFW makes plenty of those connections that you want between history and the Bible. You might find you even have room to bring something else in that you want to read with/to your oldest (maybe Apologia's Who Is God? I'm previewing that now and it will mesh well with MFW.) Have you seen the Quiet Times for Kids website? They have some Bible studies for the kids that look great! You can also plan to set aside a short block each week to have a history/Bible discussion with the oldest. As your kids get older you can plan an Independent History track with some "extra" assignment or reading or research that ties in to the weekly plans. Listening to Diana Waring would certainly add a lot of Bible connection and oomph for the logic stage set (and Mom!). 

Admittedly, MFW is my first choice but I'm still in the thick of it with planning. I have piles of books and research right now ... If we go back to MFW (wish I'd never left … gah!) we'd pick up with RTR and finish out their cycle with WTM logic stage literature and writing across the curriculum added in for my oldest.  I'm strongly interested in doing a countries/cultures/geography/missions type of study before high school and so must consider that before moving forward. We only have 3 years … I am grieved :sad: to have wasted two years spinning and flailing when I should have just STAYED WITH WHAT WAS WORKING WELL for us rather than looking around for something *better*. We would have studied through the entire cycle with my oldest son and I am so sad that he missed ECC and CTG. 

Are you willing to try Biblioplan for a year and come to a conclusion on your own? Perhaps you should try the 3 week sample. You can put the Companion on an iPad (which is what I meant to do; the printing fiasco still haunts me … I printed dozens of pages by accident!). It's hard to decide based upon what others say.

I did email the authors....Julia replied back within an hour and was extremely gracious about my questions---and she was very up front about what they did and did not have in terms of academic credentials related to history.  I was reassured by what she shared...their combined studies/degrees in Old Testament/religion/church history cover a lot of bases, particularly for Ancient/Medieval.  As for history in general, she said that both she and her husband have a personal passion for history and have always been voracious readers of history; their home is filled with history books and they both love the process of helping children read and understand history.

Now....I still plan to review it further, and have a source I trust look over it to get their opinion, but in general I feel encouraged, because I can appreciate the wealth of knowledge and perspective that can be gained from a lifetime of study--even if it doesn't have the "official" stamp of approval by a university.  I know too many people who have succeeded without that piece of paper due to their own personal initiative and work ethic. 

I'm looking at starting up with Ancients this coming fall, and I am pretty excited. :) 

Thanks for this discussion.  We're hoping to begin BP 3 in the fall.  I have used SL, TOG and Truthquest in the past.  I appreciate that BP lets me do one curriculum with all my homeschooled kids at the same time and I also like the idea of a 3 day a week schedule.  

My older dd used Biblioplan year 4 for 8th grade, and year 2 for high school.

My younger dd is using year 2 for 7th grade, and will use year 3 for 8th grade.

They read the companion independently, and completed the cool history pages and mapwork.  When she did year 4, my older dd read the assigned chapters of SOTW 4 and A History of US each week.  I know she read some historical fiction too, but I don't remember if I chose BP's suggestions or pulled from Sonlight's list.  For year 2 in high school, she read a fair amount of BP's additional literature choices.  I gave the tests for high school, but not for middle school.

My younger dd read a lot of the Sonlight literature covering Year 2's time period, so I didn't assign her any of the Biblioplan lit.  When Year 3 is released, which should be by the end of the summer (I hope!), I'll figure out what literature she'll read for 8th grade.

As far as the Companion goes, I think it would be tough reading for a younger child.  It seems to be designed so you can read portions aloud while the child is looking at the pictures.  An older child could read assigned portions or the whole thing on his/her own, depending on ability.  My older dd's opinion is that the companion is relatively neutral/straightforward, without a lot of obvious author bias.  She mentioned this after reading A History of US, which she felt had a significant amount of author bias.

HTH!

We used Biblioplan ancients this year for my 2nd grader. The printing quality of the entire program was SO terrible. It looked like it was printed off of an old printer in someone's basement. Some maps and photos in the companion were just plain blurry. The maps were terrible. It looked like someone tried to design them on a program that only used straight lines. The companion reads like an encyclopedia or high school text book. For what we are trying to accomplish I thought the SOTW, living books (pulled from various lists or what is in our home or local library), SOTW activity book and maps were a much better fit. I don't really see the advantage of using Biblioplan at all. Just our experience.