Menu

PSA: The tick-induced beef allergy

Tiramisu

I read about this, but when we visited the allergist this week, I was surprised to hear they have already seen a lot of cases of this. He asked directly about tick bite history when I told him of a recent reaction I had.

Just to let you know if you haven't heard about it. A tick bite can trigger an immune reaction so that if you eat beef (and possibly other mammalian meat) after the *right* tick bite you can wind up with anaphylaxis. It kicks in several hours later, so people who have had meat for dinner wake up in the middle of the night sick with nausea, difficulty breathing, etc.

If this doesn't put the fear of ticks into a person, I don't know what will! Though it would be worse if it induced a bacon allergy :D.

At any rate, I'm glad my new tick/chigger/mosquito repellent came yesterday.

Well, it could be any mammal and pigs are mammals, so it could be a bacon allergy.

Well, it could be any mammal and pigs are mammals, so it could be a bacon allergy.

Okay. Now I'm getting scared.

I have recently had reactions to corned beef, and two dishes dh made than contained bacon. I'm counting on the problem being the chemicals used in the processing.

I have had beef stew without a problem.