Menu

Computer science

Coursera Computer Science 101 is a great starter class.  It covers a few CS principles plus a gentle intro to coding.

http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/web has HTML and web page building courses.

Are you near any community colleges with intro classes?

Coursera and Udacity have many programming classes,  but the last time I looked into them, I didn't see a strong progression.  I found  starter classes in phython then intermediate classes in C++ for example. 

Your son can get an idea whether he really enjoys this by taking high school classes. My son did not, but when he took the intro to engineering class that introduced him to the engineering options, he fell in love with Software Engineering. He is doing fine even though he did not take it in high school.

Just fyi,

Jean

I'm fairly certain the KidCoder books are not a pre-requisite to TeenCoder, especially with kids who are already teens/in high school.  I know Wendy's son is doing the TeenCoder Java with no prior KidCoder experience, and doing just fine.  Mine are doing KidCoder first, but only because they are in 5th/6th grade and I was too chicken to start them with TeenCoder first.  :-)   They absolutely love the program -- we will stick with it all the way through C# and Java. 

Your dc should be fine jumping in with either TeenCoder C# or TeenCoder Java.  Just make sure you are getting the first semester course for the language you are looking at (either C# or Java).

My ds has done all 4 TeenCoder books & never did the KidCoders. I would say you could start with either TeenCoder set, since they are different programming languages & both start at the beginning.

Just be aware that they work in sets so TC Windows needs to be done before TC Games, and TC Java needs to be done before TC Android.