Menu

Help with 3rd grade math Singapore

mmasc

This is my first post, but I read these forums all the time for help. Now I need specific advice please! My DS has finished Singapore Primary Math 1A, 1B, 2A, and 2B. He is a 8, third grade. I chose this math because he seemed to grasp concepts quickly and not need page after page of practice. This looked perfect. However, I'm discovering that although he quickly understands and can do it, he forgets it 20 pages later during a 'Review'. We've been working on multiplication tables (he's doing well), then we get to a review and he can't remember how to add 3 digits to 3 digits.

I got so frustrated that I decided to ditch Singapore and try something completely different. I bought the entire Saxon Math 3 Intermediate set. We haven't given it an adequate attempt because after several lessons it seemed like he was taking forever to finish (at least an hour), but not learning as much. ??? I've looked though the book more and am wondering if it might work because they have 1-2 of *everything* in each written practice (ie addition, subtraction, multiplication, etc).

I've looked into BJU and also Rod and Staff. I know he's weak on add/sub facts so I'm wondering if R&S might be the drill he needs? Or maybe Saxon with the steady repetition?

I just can't find the right 'fit' and I'm sick of researching! Thank you for any help or advice. :)

I find it's one thing to grasp a concept quickly and another to have it truly cemented. I probably overkill with math, but I want them to know it inside and out; I just believe it's that important. We do Singapore with Textbook, workbook, intensive practice and challenging word problems. And I also have them do MUS. Though I'm now switching to MUS just for the summer. Usually we did it at the same time.

My kids are great at math and get things easily, but I'd rather not accelerate them too fast or let them take things too easy. Drill isn't fun, but it does cement things better. At least the Singapore extra books have interesting problems.

I doubt it's the fit as much as the lack of practice. Things do take time and effort. I would just stick with one program, and get him the practice he needs. Maybe if you move forward with Singapore on a concept, have him do an intensive practice book at the same time a lesson or so behind to get that continuous review.

I use Singapore US edition, and if you use 'standards' my answer might not be helpful, so I apologize if it is not. In SM US there are reviews in the text, for example 3D, 3F, 3G, etc. I use those as review. Once a week or so I would go back a section and use some questions from the reviews we had already done. Even if we had done the review in total before moving on (which I always do) I reuse the questions because it's not like he's going remember the answers from a couple weeks ago.

I also use the SM "Challenging Word Problems' but I use it a year behind for a sort of review. There are also the intensive practice and extra practice books if you need those. I have never used those.

How does he do on those big reviews in the text book?

When my older boy needed a big of extra practice I just went to my local big box bookstore and bought a Kumon workbook on the topic (addition or multiplication etc) We never finished the workbooks but they were handy to have.

I had the same problem with my DD 7 (2nd grade).  What really worked for us was practicing with the mental math pages in the HIG.  If I were to point out one single criticism for Singapore math that would be its lack of practice.  It actually works very well for some kids because it is not a "drill and kill" program but my DD needed the extra practice.  So, we slowed down and do mental math pages 3 days a week and do actual SM textbook and workbook problem 2 days of the week.  It helped a lot.  Be patient, don't give up on SM yet.  It is a great program as long as you add some drill exercise with it.

Thank you so much for your quick replies and helpful suggestions! Redsquirrel, I like your weekly use of the reviews. I admit that I don't do them regularly, just as they appear in the book. And I should have mentioned it, but we use US. I had actually even considered sticking with Singapore and just switching to standards because I've read it has more review.

Matrips: I've never tried their extra books, only the WB and TB. I think I'll look into the IP. Since we just finished 2B, would you recommend 3A IP, using it a lesson or two behind what we are covering in the WB?

Truemind: thank you for the encouragement. :) I still have the mindset that we are 'behind' but I think I need to just add in extra practice and have it scheduled like you do. It's hard to know how to schedule it in...I just want it there already. :)

But I agree that it's a good math program. That's why I'm hesitant to switch. Ds does well on the word problems, so that is encouraging.

My son doesn't have a high tolerance for review so when we start a lesson I say "Ok, first, just to wake up our brains, do these three questions"  And then I give him three questions from an old 'review'. I do that a couple times a week. Really, that is it and it is painless. I can't make him do too much or he will lose steam for the lesson.

I am wondering how you are teaching the math. Are you using both the textbook and the workbook with the Singapore Math? I know some people will skip one or the other.

Switching from Singapore over to Saxon is just going from one extreme to the other. If you really want to give up on Singapore, I might suggest Horizon's or even Math-U-See.

I think I'll look into the IP. Since we just finished 2B, would you recommend 3A IP, using it a lesson or two behind what we are covering in the WB?

FWIW, we use Math Mammoth for extra practice with Singapore because it's a PDF and I just print off pages periodically that I think will help review or give extra practice, and I have a lot of kids so it is cost-effective.  For 2nd Grade with Singapore, I go through the textbook, doing all the practice sets, and then go through the Extra Practice 2.  I think 2nd grade needs a lot of review and I thought it was better to spiral it rather than doing all the books at once.  

I think a lot of people use the Intensive Practice books a grade behind instead of with the textbook/workbook. 

Does the US HIG have mental math problems in the back?  We start each lesson with ten mental math problems from the back of the HIG as warm-up on the whiteboard.  I usually select across the page, rather than down a column, so that different concepts are being reviewed each time.  This has really helped to keep the mental math techniques constantly fresh. 

When the actual assignment is a new mental math technique, I might only use 3-5 of the mental math problems from the HIG, then add in 3-5 carry/borrow style addition or subtraction problems. 

The ten problems take my son about 5 minutes, and he does these while I set myself up for the rest of the lesson by having a glance at the HIG, opening the TB and WB to the right pages, etc. 

We use XtraMath to review math facts each day, and TimezAttack to review times tables each day.  Approx 5-6 minutes of XtraMath and 15 minutes of TimezAttack because ds thinks it's a video game.  :-)