Menu

Need advice! Anybody have input on a Ford Edge or Ford Escape? Looking at used, maybe 2011 or 2012.

DB in NJ

Our van has "catastrophic" problems. Yay.  :crying:  Not great, especially right now since dh isn't working, and his unemployment ran out. In the meantime, there are 2 full-time ministry positions he is pursuing (I should say they are pursuing him, which is wonderful, but these things tend to move very slowly). Anyhoo, I have some money from an account my mother left me when she died. We have been using it to pay our mortgage, but I can draw on it (and pay taxes on it) if need be for a car.

I was looking at some used Fords online, only because a pastor friend of ours is working at this car dealership. We'll be going to see him tonight, and I'd like to know if any of you have any tips or pointers or reviews of the Ford Edge or Ford Escape you could give me.

Honestly, I just want something with good (low) mileage, room for 5 people, that gets good gas mileage.

Thanks!!

My MIL has a newer Escape (2013 I think? Maybe 2012). She has had a bunch of issues with it so far, one of which is the gas mileage is nowhere near what they advertised. She's pretty disappointed in it. It had a big recall shortly after she purchased it and it's had some other problems too, can't remember specifics at the moment though. 

We have a 2013 ford escape. So far we've had no mechanical problems. We can fit 2 tall teens and our 8 yo in the back seat- they are comfortable for an hour or two- I don't think it would be the best on a long road trip. The gas mileage is way lower than we expected. We get 20.8 and I thought it was gonna be over 30. We don't drive too much anymore so it suits us for now.

We have an Edge and love it. We tried out the Escape but it was uncomfortable for dds in the back. The Edge is much bigger. We take several long trips a year and the girls are super comfy in it.  I'm not sure how the gas mileage differs between the two, but our Edge does okay. We went from a Corolla to the Edge so it definitely isn't as good but it's not horrible. I average around 23 mpg just driving around town and it's around 25-30 on our trips.

I have a 2007 edge that I bought used in early 2009. I love it for the most part :). It gets good gas mileage, currently has 155,000 miles and knock on wood has only had minor issues. The most current issues is a brake warning light that occasionally turns on. I've had it checked out 3 different times and they can't find a problem so I ignore it. My vista roof also needs a new motor, but its not a big deal. I just like having the sun shine in, not necessarily have it open up.

My biggest problem is, it only hauls 5 people. Tough to drag kids and friends around in it on the rare occasion we do, but we manage. It's quite a minor problem, because it rides very comfortably. I've had it up to Maine and down to florida (I live in indiana) and it's quite comfy to travel in. The cargo area is also surprisingly large for my 90 pound lab and then some if I need to squish stuff in around him :)