Menu

Any ideas for multi-week science projects for Human Body/Plants/Animals?

I really like the idea of multi-week projects for the kids to complete during our science units. I got the following one from Elemental Science, which I really love the looks of but it has such bad reviews! So I am thinking of writing my own units but I want to add the multi-week project idea. Here is the one from ES sample:

Unit Project ⣠Plant Growth Project — During this unit, you will record the growth of a bean plant.

This week, begin this project by planting your seed. You will need dirt, a small pot, water, and a pinto bean seed. Fill the pot with dirt and gently press the bean seed just under the surface of the dirt. Water the pot well before placing it on a windowsill that receives direct sun light. Over the week, check your pot and water the plant when the soil is dry. On Friday, measure and record how much it has grown on the Plant Growth Record Chart

Any ideas?

Definitely TOPS Science topscience.org! Radishes #38 is all about studying plant growth by doing it. There's also Corn and Beans #39. Many of the other units are great, too. They use common household items, and they really work.

Do you mean experiments/experiences that happen over time?

You can track things like how much sleep one gets, how far one walks, fitness levels before and after an extended exercise program, etc.

How about some experiments re mold inhibition? Something like, use a medium (homemade bread, for example) and then put some in 5 petri dishes. Then use some different substances to see which inhibit mold growth--maybe hand sanitizer w/o alcohol, a spritz of bleach, etc. Keep track and graph growth?

You could do a lifecycle study with something you buy from a science company, like silk moths or whatever (ladybugs? chicks?). Or get two identical plants and water one with soda, one with water and chart growth over time.

Dd, at school, had a small tank on her table (everyone had a tank). They put various things in it (like an aquarium) and observed every day for an entire quarter. She had to make predictions, follow procedures, draw it every class, etc. I can ask her teacher (this was 7th grade) for the procedures, if you want. It was really good science!

Some great ideas here! Thank You!! I was thinking of long term projects and activities. I love some of your suggestions. I was also thinking of things like a big leaf collection/identification project organized into some sort of book or display. Not necessarily THAT project, but something like it. KWIM?

We did a leaf project with ds as a supplement to Apologia biology.

I had him press them, id them with a book and the computer, and mount them on scrapbooking paper in page protectors. He labeled with the latin name, the common name, and described the leaf (shape--palmate, ellipse, etc; pattern--alternate or whatever; vein pattern...). He included bark rubbings on the page.

I haven't done any body science yet (next year), but off the top of my head maybe you could dissolve things in acid about the same acidity as stomach fluids? I remember reading coca cola is close, as is vinegar?

For plants, you could sprout sunflowers, beans, or peas. Those are all large, quick spouting seeds you could easily track over 1-4 weeks. Most bulbs will grow in water alone so you can really see the root growth. There are also lots of veggies that will grow from scraps, which is fun- celery, chives, avocado.

If you put your flower/vine plant in a box, with a sort of maze to reach the light, you can watch it wind to grow towards the light.

You can split the bottom of a rose or carnation into three and put each in a different color water. Over a few days different petals will pick up different dyes.

You can identify trees or flowers or bushes (or all three) in your neighborhood or favorite park. Include bark rubbings, leaf drawings, and a sketch for each in a little book to keep.

For animals. This is harder to last over several days. You can order and take apart owl pellets. Gross because you find all sorts of tiny bones. But cool. Won't take over an hour or two but I had to mention it because I lov it.

Butterflies and frogs can be ordered as caterpillars/tadpoles and you can track their metamorphosis. We've done butterflies several times, and it takes about a month.

You can start an ant farm, or worm farm pretty easily. There are lots of experiments you can do with either.

You can also make a book for this. Identify and draw all the wildlife in your area. Or all the bugs you find over a spring.

Expensive, but you could set up a salt water fish tank. Or for a bit cheaper, but still expensive, a fresh water one.