Menu

Hard Water and Granite Overlay Counters

Myeightkiddies

We moved into this house a year and half ago.  The countertops looked new because they probably were.  They aren't full granite.  The previous owners had granite overlay installed over existing countertops.  It looked nice for awhile but after a couple of months the hard water kept building up despite my efforts.  Now the surface around the kitchen sink looks horrible, and there is build-up around the faucet.  Actually there may be the start to damage around the edges near the sink.  We do have a full house water softener.

I cannot find a way to clean this build-up that won't damage the overlay.  Because the product's paperwork states that it doesn't need resealing, my husband isn't going to want to pay for people to come in and reseal it without us doing everything else on our own.  Has anyone been able to find a way to remove this dulling, white, unattractive build-up from granite overlay?  It's really frustrating me and makes my kitchen look bad.

Thank you for any advice.  

:lurk5:

I hope someone can offer some usual advice. I've been having the same problem for a few years now and am really disappointed by the state of the area near the sink. I've tried wiping it down with cooking oil, etc. That only masks the problem for a few minutes or so. 

Try Spot-X.

I had spots on my shower door, Travertine, and granite sink.  I tried Dawn/vinegar combination letting it sit for a lot longer than suggested, straight white vinegar, various soap scum removers, Lime-away (although I was too chicken to leave it on very long), Bar Keeper's friend...and I am sure there are others I can't remember.

I finally ordered some Spot-X and it is the only thing that has worked.  It is a powder that you make a paste of and rub on with a scrubbie pad that they provide.  I believe the theory is that the Spot-X is harder than the deposits, but not as hard as the glass or granite so it does not scratch.

We have the same problem with our water and granite. I am not very good at keeping up with it, but vinegar seems to work better than anything. Soak a rag with vinegar and leave it on the affected area for awhile. After it's soaked a while, try to clean it -- you will probably have to scrape a bit; I generally use my fingernail. Anyhow, this is still a long process. Often it takes several attempts.

One thing I have noticed is that baby wipes seem to help when the build-up is very light and new.

Try Spot-X.

I'll try this. Thank you. :)

vinegar seems to work better than anything. 

I have been told that any kind of acid is bad for granite. Mind you, I figure that my sink area really can't look any worse. May be worth a try. 

I'll try this. Thank you. :)

I have been told that any kind of acid is bad for granite. Mind you, I figure that my sink area really can't look any worse. May be worth a try.

We have used vinegar on both our travertine and on our granite with no ill effects.

Vinegar.

The buildup from the hard water is calcium carbonate. It will react with the acid in vinegar to form carbon dioxide and a water soluble calcium compound.

I have granite countertops, and vinegar works great.

NOTE: this works if the stone is actually granite. Do not do it with marble; marble will dissolve and become damaged!

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the vinegar method yesterday and now it's worse than ever before :(. 

Don't know what to do next. I looked up the problem online and the solutions are rather difficult to do in this part of the world. A few of them said to avoid using vinegar:

"Do not use any ammonia, vinegar, or lemon cleaners on granite. Although granite is an extremely tough surface, it is susceptible to acidic formulas, which eat away at its surface. Vinegar, and lemon all contain more acid than is safe for granite."

http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Granite-Countertops 

I tried the vinegar method yesterday and now it's worse than ever before :(. 

Don't know what to do next. I looked up the problem online and the solutions are rather difficult to do in this part of the world. A few of them said to avoid using vinegar:

"Do not use any ammonia, vinegar, or lemon cleaners on granite. Although granite is an extremely tough surface, it is susceptible to acidic formulas, which eat away at its surface. Vinegar, and lemon all contain more acid than is safe for granite."[/size]

I'm sorry it did not work for you. We have used it for several years, including leaving a rag soaked in vinegar on the problem area for hours, with no ill effect at all. I wonder if it depends on the granite's finish?

I'm sorry it did not work for you. We have used it for several years, including leaving a rag soaked in vinegar on the problem area for hours, with no ill effect at all. I wonder if it depends on the granite's finish?

Thank you. I don't know about the granite's finish. The countertop is all stained in white now and it will not go. I wonder if I need to be more rough with the razor blade. I'm scared to do anything else to it. 

Did you try the Spot-X?

No. We live outside the U.S. and they don't sell it here. Will need to order that next time we travel. 

Negin, I'm wondering if your counters aren't really granite. There are a lot of stones that are called "granite" but aren't really, and some of them are susceptible to damage from acids. Would you be willing to post a picture of your counter and the area where you have the damage?

I'd also suggest posting on the kitchen forum at gardenweb. There are lots of people there willing to give advice on kitchen counters, and I've learned a ton over there.

I had another thought on Negin's fading issue. A lot of slabs are dyed, and those dyes are not necessarily stable when they're in contact with solvents like vinegar. It would be nice if customers were warned when buying dyed granite, but right now, they're usually not.  To give you an idea of what that damage might look like, here's a picture of a counter that was bleached by prolonged contact with Lysol.

Negin, I'm wondering if your counters aren't really granite. There are a lot of stones that are called "granite" but aren't really, and some of them are susceptible to damage from acids. Would you be willing to post a picture of your counter and the area where you have the damage?

I'd also suggest posting on the kitchen forum at gardenweb. There are lots of people there willing to give advice on kitchen counters, and I've learned a ton over there.

I'm quite sure that it is granite.I just wish that I'd known better and had chosen white or off-white. Big mistake. :( 

My question is this: real granite would in fact be susceptible to damage from acids. I've read that time and time again. 

"Do not use any ammonia, vinegar, or lemon cleaners on granite. Although granite is an extremely tough surface, it is susceptible to acidic formulas, which eat away at its surface. Vinegar, and lemon all contain more acid than is safe for granite."

I hope to find the time to post a picture of it later today. 

Going to look into that site. Thank you! :) 

I had another thought on Negin's fading issue. A lot of slabs are dyed, and those dyes are not necessarily stable when they're in contact with solvents like vinegar. It would be nice if customers were warned when buying dyed granite, but right now, they're usually not.  To give you an idea of what that damage might look like, here's a picture of a counter that was bleached by prolonged contact with Lysol.

Off to look at this also. I've never used anything other than cooking oil (what the guy who installed them recommended) and a few granite wipes. 

4faf3ac35f79232e93253487deb8dec6.jpg

03f1e5825d1e2bba915537c01aeefa14.jpg