Menu

Dr. Hive - gluten issues

Punks in Ontario

Well, I've been trying to find out why my dh is having recurrent gut issues.  Life at work is getting a tad uncomfortable for him with having to go to the bathroom 2-4 times/day.  I suggested he try cutting out dairy, gluten, and a couple of other things for 3 weeks, then introduce things back slowly.  Within 3 days, he was running more often and pretty unhappy - on top of missing the verboten foods.

I'm trying to brainstorm why he's worse cutting out foods, and how to go about helping the guy.

Anyone with experience have any ideas?

BTW, he gave up the "diet".

I tried an elimination diet (The Candida Diet, which has a website) where you cut out many foods, and then reintroduce. They warn you that you will feel worse before you feel better. I definitely had the runs for a few days.

If you can find an open-minded doc or naturopath to help with this, it would be best. I didn't have that support, but it would have been nice. They would be aware of what red flags might be the diet, vs. another problem. Sometimes it's something totally different than you think it will be, such as getting more a certain nutrient, switching to organic/pastured meats, etc. Sometimes it's more than one change that is needed.

Also, some people get migraines with no headaches. Those folks might experience, nausea, diarrhea, or vomiting, or a combo.

He did start eating more rice crackers, then switched to rice cakes.  We don't do corn or soy although I've been using almond milk as a substitute since I don't believe anyone has nut issues.  He's also had some oatmeal (yes, I know there's traces of gluten in it.  I'm working on that).

You can get gluten free oats online. Bob's Red Mill offers them, and they are usually pretty available most places. The best price we've found for GF oats is at Trader Joe's, but we don't get there very often.

DS4 and I are the gluten intolerant people in our house, and we both react badly to oats, even the GF ones. Sudden, severe GI issues, sweating/shaking, dizziness. Very unpleasant.

Does he have any pain? Might be diverticulitis, instead of or in addition to a food intolerance.

I went GF for a year and it didn't help me at all. I also had gene testing for celiac ordered by my GI because of my on-going problems and the fact that my kids also have stomach issues.

At one point, I had recurring episodes with CDiff. But other times, I had similar symptoms but tested negative for CDiff. During those episodes, I really had to limit vegetables and other higher fiber food. I had to follow a low residue, low fat diet under doctor's orders, because it was the easiest for me to digest and helped the number of trips I made to the bathroom. I know it doesn't sound healthy but it did help a lot during that time.

I would consider a stool test to see if he has a bacterial overgrowth of some kind, along with the other things they test for like parasites, blood, and inflammation. I have two friends who had parasites and did know know it. They just thought it was GI upset.

Has your dh ever been tested for inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's or ulcerative colitis)? We are waiting for the results of my dd's blood test for IBD. I didn't even know they had tests for the antibodies but I guess they do.