Menu

What books should I take to read while camping?

Somehow my dh and ds have talked me into going camping. I am not a great camper. I walked home from a Girl Scout camp out once because I didn't like it(luckily it was only 1/4 of a mile from my house) The only way I am going to survive this is by taking a few good books. I figure I have room for 3 books. Please help me decide what to take.

First choice must be a Jane Austen. Jane Austen is my happy reading place :001_smile:

Choices 2 and 3 can be made from the following list, I have not read any of these

Bel Canto by Ann Patchet

Atonement by Ian McEwan

In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick

The Reading Group by Elizabeth Noble

Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen

The Historian

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Hurston

Miss Read Summer at Fairacre

Walden by Thoreau (somehow this just seems to go with camping)

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by MArk Twain

The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander Smith

John Adams by McCullough

1776 by McCullough

*Note that last two would help me prepare for the school year.

Any other suggestions not on the list would be great, these just happen to be book I already own.

Somehow my dh and ds have talked me into going camping. I am not a great camper. I walked home from a Girl Scout camp out once because I didn't like it(luckily it was only 1/4 of a mile from my house) The only way I am going to survive this is by taking a few good books. I figure I have room for 3 books. Please help me decide what to take.

First choice must be a Jane Austen. Jane Austen is my happy reading place :001_smile:

Choices 2 and 3 can be made from the following list, I have not read any of these

Bel Canto by Ann Patchet

Atonement by Ian McEwan

In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick

The Reading Group by Elizabeth Noble

Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen

The Historian

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Hurston

Miss Read Summer at Fairacre

Walden by Thoreau (somehow this just seems to go with camping)

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by MArk Twain

The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander Smith

John Adams by McCullough

1776 by McCullough

*Note that last two would help me prepare for the school year.

Any other suggestions not on the list would be great, these just happen to be book I already own.

First take a hammock to string under the trees and a comfortable camp chair, preferably a reclining chair. Next, I can't handle any book that's heavy or requires study when I read outside. I'm too distracted by the birds, the breeze, fluttering leaves..........

So from the one's I've read on your list, I would go with a Connecticut Yankee. I'd also tend toward collections of short stories. Maybe a McPhee collection for non-fiction?