Menu

Homeschooling in Georgia

Night Elf

I was reading the DOE's website for the rules and couldn't find the mandatory age requirements. I think it used to be 6 to 16 had to be reported. My son will be 18 before I would need to submit another DOI, so I'm thinking we no longer need to submit it even though he's not technically graduated. He'll be able to get his license without it since he will be an adult. But since it's not on the website, has that requirement changed, or is it still 6 to 16?

I am not sure, but I plan to file an intent to homeschool for every school year I actually homeschool. I'd rather do more than necessary than not. I also don't want it to appear that all homeschoolers "drop out" after 16. It's so easy to file online now. 

This is from GHEA's web site. It's HSLDA's analysis of GA law; it says 6 to 16.

Personally, if I were not required to report after my dc was 16, I wouldn't do it. :-)

But they get you to report by requiring evidence of school attendance for someone under 18 yo to get a permit or license. Now that we don't report attendance they use the DOI for that.

Yeah, we won't need it for a license since he'll be 18. I'm hoping to get his learners in April or May, but my current DOI is valid through July when he'll be turning 18 anyway.

I just talked to DH and he wants me to file again. He's not sure if we might have to prove ds is still a student for any purposes like insurance or taxes or something. If ds graduates when we think he will, he'll be starting college the month after he turns 19.