Menu

Is this peak flow change significant?

Tiramisu

Dd usually gets around 200. Sometimes 230 but sometimes going near 150. The pediatrician wanted her to try the inhaler and do it again to see how much it can help her. For the first time, dd exceeded 250. She is 8 yo and 65 pounds and, I think, about 52 inches.

I do think this is a significant change just from our experiences....is she having any breathing issues?  My ds had changes like this after the inhaler....he wasn't having any issues that I could see but further testing said that his lungs were not growing at the rate his body was.  He had allergy issues too....we started shots and he is doing much better.

Without a chart in front of me, that does look like a decent bit of change. How long have you been tracking? How do you track?

We've only been tracking for a few days. She is supposed to breathe three times. I don't even write down the numbers because it fluctuates within certain numbers each time, so I can easily keep track of it in my head. I know we have never had numbers over 250. Now I'm thinking I should write it down. 

Yes, that is a 25% increase so significant.  The drops to 150 were significant too.

Were you able to use a spacer with the inhaler?  Do 1 puff, inhale deeply and hold.  Then wait 1-2 minutes and do a 2nd puff.  Then wait a few minutes for the peak flow to see how much difference there is.

I certainly see that as something to keep pursuing to figure out if it is allergies, exercise asthma, other issues, etc. causing the problems.

Yes, that is a 25% increase so significant.  The drops to 150 were significant too.

Were you able to use a spacer with the inhaler?  Do 1 puff, inhale deeply and hold.  Then wait 1-2 minutes and do a 2nd puff.  Then wait a few minutes for the peak flow to see how much difference there is.

I certainly see that as something to keep pursuing to figure out if it is allergies, exercise asthma, other issues, etc. causing the problems.

We are using the spacer from dd13, who never used it. We waited 15 minutes after the second puff before doing the meter again.

She got six vials of blood taken yesterday and we are waiting for the results.

http://www.freeprintablemedicalforms.com/preview/Asthma_Peak_Flow_Chart

I personally like this one. Make sure you note meds, if any, next to each point. 

I tracked with my son for a month before considering any numbers his best. I also didn't worry too much early on if his numbers were crazy low, unless he had other symptoms. 

thanks!

The graphing makes significant changes easier to spot.

Keep in mind that with growth spurts, lung capacity will change. Not saying that's what's happening with you, just that if you're going to be tracking for a period of months, you might also want to note height in a weekly or twice monthly basis.

I do think this is a significant change just from our experiences....is she having any breathing issues?  My ds had changes like this after the inhaler....he wasn't having any issues that I could see but further testing said that his lungs were not growing at the rate his body was.  He had allergy issues too....we started shots and he is doing much better.

I'm curious about how you got started on the inhaler and what indications you had that there were issues. Was it the allergies. My dd was recently diagnosed with allergies. I don't really see a ton of symptoms. She has been nauseous, tired, and dizzy. More recently she's been complaining of pain. She has sensory issues so it's hard for me to sort out what's a problem and what's her way of feeling things. But when she just wanted to go to bed, I knew I had to take her in to the ped.