Menu

Sonlight users of levels higher than Core 4...

LillianinAL

Do you feel that your dc are getting more experience with Logic Stage thinking and evaluating literature and historical events, a la WTM? I can't tell much from the samples and am thinking, as always, where to go from here. :) How are Cores 5, 6, etc. and does the reading/ discussion/ mapwork/ thinking workload increase appropriately as you go up? Thank you!

Lillian

I've used 3+4 and also Core 5. They are totally different in style, so it's hard to make a direct comparison. I would say that the amount of reading is about the same, but the difficulty of the reading increases with Core 5. As for discussion, we did have more discussion in Core 5, and part of that was due to the fact that it was such "new" material, totally different from anything else we had studied. The mapwork was significantly more challenging in Core 5.

I haven't used any of the other upper cores, so I can't help you there. Hope that helps!

I have used cores 2-5. I have Core 6, but I'm using HO and SL as a supplement. Compared to Core 5 it's on the light side. For history it's using SOTW, which for me is more a Grammar stage series. The questions are similar to years passed both for history and read-alouds. The LA's is very different and not as grammar focused, more creative writing. I hope this is what you were looking for.

Do you feel that your dc are getting more experience with Logic Stage thinking and evaluating literature and historical events, a la WTM? I can't tell much from the samples and am thinking, as always, where to go from here. :) How are Cores 5, 6, etc. and does the reading/ discussion/ mapwork/ thinking workload increase appropriately as you go up? Thank you!

Lillian

The problem I have answering your question is this: as long as a student is exposed to literature and history, and they are past the concrete-thinking stage, they will naturally evolve into "logic stage thinking" and begin to evaluate literature and events. It's what normal human beings do - even those who *aren't* exposed to literature and history.

So, while you might be able to help nudge a child's ability to reason logically by teaching Latin or Logic or higher-level math, you don't need to worry about nudging them into abstract thinking. They will start making connections and asking "why" no matter what curriculum you use.

And, you can always tweak the WTM rec's regarding summaries and outlines and apply them to your SL readings.

On a more practical note ;) There was not a lot of "lit analysis" in Core 6, but it's easy enough to add in the questions in WTM (logic-stage reading section). You could even have dc write a one-page summary and a sentence evaluation.

hth,

Rhonda