Menu

Overlap between MM 4B and BA 4A

DesertBlossom

DS8 is new to homeschooling this year. We jumped around a bit in different programs before setting on MM 4B. He has done really well with it, but I know he could use a little variety. How much overlap is there in MM 4B and BA 4A? Isn't BA almost a year ahead? And anyone know  how soon the rest of the 4 levels come out?

BA has their scope and sequence here:

http://www.beastacademy.com/store/product/4a

I don't know that they are a full year ahead. They just present things in a slightly different order and often in a completely different way. We have transitioned easily from BA 4A to Singapore 5A, but I don't know if that would be typical. I filled in with a few supplements in between for a couple months.

We've done almost all of MM 4B and BA 4A and the overlap is long multiplication. If you have done long multiplication in MM, then the multiplication chapter of BA 4A would either be a repeat or a skip for you. The geometry and exponents chapters in BA 4A are unlike anything in MM 4.

We've done almost all of MM 4B and BA 4A and the overlap is long multiplication. If you have done long multiplication in MM, then the multiplication chapter of BA 4A would either be a repeat or a skip for you. The geometry and exponents chapters in BA 4A are unlike anything in MM 4.

This is really good to know. I pulled him out of 2nd grade and we worked on times tables and long division and everything else he seemed to intuitively know. MM4B has worked out really well... but now that you mention it he hasn't done long multiplication. I think I'll bite the bullet and buy BA 4A before doing MM 5A.

Thanks!

Honestly, because the presentation is so different, and really fun/challenging for many kids, you might want to start with BA 3A.  Even my 13 year old is liking 3A and learning a lot/reviewing in a different way....

Good to know. My 1st grade DD is asking to be homeschooled next year. I'm not sure she's quite ready for BA level 3 yet, but this is on my list of things for the future for her. I take it the Guide is not meant to be written in and the practice books are consumable? I could buy it now and if I don't  use it for DS, save it for DD.

Good to know. My 1st grade DD is asking to be homeschooled next year. I'm not sure she's quite ready for BA level 3 yet, but this is on my list of things for the future for her. I take it the Guide is not meant to be written in and the practice books are consumable? I could buy it now and if I don't  use it for DS, save it for DD.

Yes the main book is not consumable.  The practice book is.  There are also additional activity pages that you can download for free off of the BA site.  3A has some great geometry concepts and puzzles.  My DS10 and my DD13 have enjoyed it as a side thing and it really is helping them see concepts from a different perspective....I will say that we approach the material a bit differently from some.  Since this is not our main math curriculum, we do the reading and the activities together.  I do them, too.  And we have had a lot of fun doing it that way, while also learning.  Win win.