Menu

Singapore Math HIG and Manipulative Question...

momtofive

I am somewhat new to teaching math with Singapore, and have a few questions.....

I'm kicking around the idea of getting the HIG'S for the levels we're using, as I think it will really help me in teaching it, and give my kids a more hands on lesson. I've viewed some samples and like what I'm seeing, but could some of you who are more experienced share a bit more about them and how you use them?

Also, I keep seeing place value disc's (in the samples) being used to teach lessons and it makes me wonder what manipulatives are truly necessary to teach this? I have MUS blocks and various household items we could use for manipulatives, but I don't mind purchasing things if I know they'll really work nicely for teaching concepts. Basically, I don't want to get a bunch of stuff I'll hardly use. I see a lot of manipulatives at Singapore's site, but wonder which ones are truly needed.

Thanks so much for the help! :D

Get the HIGs. I didn't think that I needed to use them, because it's not like I don't get 1st/2nd grade math :glare:. However, I was running into some issues with my kiddo, and finally dug out the HIGs. Duh. Seriously, they contain a lot of what makes the program "Singaporean." We missed out on A LOT of activities and stuff that we are now having to go back through and do.

The HIGs also contain manipulative material that can be copied onto cardstock and used. This site has printable Singapore stuff as well, like the disks. We use Unifix cubes a lot, but you can make do with household items for counters, a clock for telling time, etc. I also have some Math-U-See cubes that we use, but I am planning to get a nice base-10 set.

I don't personally like the place value disks, but I like the place value number strips (Not sure what these are called, but you have strips with, for example, 3000, 200, 50, and 8 that can be overlayed to make 3258) which can be photocopied from teh HIG and base ten blocks.  We use these plus cuisinaire rods, and that's pretty much it.  We'll probably get a couple things for fractions as we need them.

The HIGs also contain mental math problems to do to start each lesson, teaching tips, etc, etc, etc....  very important part of the whole program!

The HIGs also contain manipulative material that can be copied onto cardstock and used. This site has printable Singapore stuff as well, like the disks. We use Unifix cubes a lot, but you can make do with household items for counters, a clock for telling time, etc. I also have some Math-U-See cubes that we use, but I am planning to get a nice base-10 set.

I'd forgotten about this site. Thanks!

To the OP, we don't use the place value discs that much, so we draw them on the rare occasion that we do--you can use different color markers or colored pencils, etc. for each place value if you like.

For place value discs, I just wrote 1, 10, 100, etc., on bingo markers. Each color got a different value.

I highly recommend the HIGs though. Unless this is the way you were taught, there doesn't seem much point in using Singapore if you're not able to do it the Singapore way.

One more question...

So, I'm just wondering, for those of you using the HIG'S, how do you approach your lesson times? Do you teach from the HIG, and then go over the lesson in the textbook, followed by the student completing the workbook lesson? Or do you teach from the HIG lesson and then have them go directly to the workbook exercises?

One more question...

So, I'm just wondering, for those of you using the HIG'S, how do you approach your lesson times? Do you teach from the HIG, and then go over the lesson in the textbook, followed by the student completing the workbook lesson? Or do you teach from the HIG lesson and then have them go directly to the workbook exercises?

I do what the HIG tells me to do. It says when to do what.

I do what the HIG tells me to do. It says when to do what.

So do you use the HIG and the textbook together, or just the HIG for teaching?

I've seen some of the samples, and I do remember seeing where it told you to do a certain exercise in the workbook. Does it also tell you when to incorporate the textbook pages, too?

So do you use the HIG and the textbook together, or just the HIG for teaching?

I've seen some of the samples, and I do remember seeing where it told you to do a certain exercise in the workbook. Does it also tell you when to incorporate the textbook pages, too?

They do.

What they don't have is IP and CWP if you use them.

I found them to be a strength of the program.

I also found base 10 blocks to be an excellent resource.

They do.

What they don't have is IP and CWP if you use them.

I found them to be a strength of the program.

I also found base 10 blocks to be an excellent resource.

Thank you!

I was hoping it was included in there. At this point we don't have plans to include the IP and CWP books, so I think we're okay there. I do plan on getting a set of base ten blocks, too. Thanks again! :D

What Dana said. There is a suggested semester-long schedule in the front (it schedules textbook, workbook, extra practice book and tests). Each unit and chapter has an introduction to the teacher as to what will be going on. Then each lesson will have teaching activities, what to do in the textbook, what to do in the workbook, answers, and suggested activities for reinforcement.

IP and CWP are not scheduled. Some people use them on time, some a semester behind, some a year behind. They are arranged by chapter as well, so shouldn't be hard to schedule.