Menu

Does Anybody Have an Acer Chromebook?

Crimson Wife

DD was lobbying the other day to be allowed to use her savings to buy a Chromebook. She has an iPad she won as a spelling bee prize and she & her siblings recently pooled their Christmas gift cards to purchase a Kindle Fire. But she's claiming that there are things she can't do on either the iPad or the Kindle Fire (the biggest one is run Flash). So she wants a Chromebook (actually, she'd prefer a full laptop but she's way short of the funds required for a decent one).

Anyways, this deal turned up in my inbox this morning and I'm wondering whether this particular Chromebook is any good: http://sellout.woot.com/offers/acer-11-6-dual-core-16gb-ssd-chromebook-21#read-more

We have that exact chromebook.  It's okay, I guess.  It's smaller than you would think (we also have an HP chromebook, which is just a little bit bigger, and I find it easier to use).  It's great for traveling and for surfing the web.  But I'm not sure what exactly it would do that an iPad wouldn't do?  (That could just be my ignorance, because I am well aware that I do not use any of my devices to their fullest potential, LOL.)  What I don't like is that you can't download any programs and run them, so for example, my older boys can't listen to their Potters School classes on it.  I do like that it doesn't just run apps, so I prefer it greatly to the ipad.  I don't use google docs, so I don't know how easy it is to use that.  I do know we have been reallly frustrated trying to register our chromebooks to the cloud or something so we can print from them.   All I know is we've never been able to do it, so we can't print from either chromebook, but again, that is probably our limited technical capacity, and others wouldn't have the same issue.  

Sorry I'm not more helpful!  

Both of my daughters have this one, the Samsung: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-XE303C12-A01US-Chromebook-Wi-Fi-11-6-Inch/dp/B009LL9VDG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1394311370&sr=8-8&keywords=chrome

and it is a great device for them. There are lots of things you can do on a chrome book that you can't on a tablet - type easily is one of the big ones! we have the wireless keypad for our ipad, and while it's certainly better than no keypad, it's nowhere near like typing on the chrome books.

google drive (used to be google docs) is super easy to use. we've never bothered setting up the chrome books to print, they just access google drive from the desktop instead.  

we bought the chrome cast for $35, and it makes it super easy to 'sling' videos from the computer to the tv, no wires, etc. it works with several devices. 

I do think the one you listed is an older  model, so you might want to compare specs. 

Both of my daughters have this one, the Samsung: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-XE303C12-A01US-Chromebook-Wi-Fi-11-6-Inch/dp/B009LL9VDG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1394311370&sr=8-8&keywords=chrome

and it is a great device for them. There are lots of things you can do on a chrome book that you can't on a tablet - type easily is one of the big ones! we have the wireless keypad for our ipad, and while it's certainly better than no keypad, it's nowhere near like typing on the chrome books.

google drive (used to be google docs) is super easy to use. we've never bothered setting up the chrome books to print, they just access google drive from the desktop instead.  

we bought the chrome cast for $35, and it makes it super easy to 'sling' videos from the computer to the tv, no wires, etc. it works with several devices. 

I do think the one you listed is an older  model, so you might want to compare specs. 

I'm curious -- can you print directly from the Chromebook? 

I'm curious -- can you print directly from the Chromebook?

I can, but Cloudprint was already set up correctly (I use it with my phone).