Menu

Phonics once efficent?

plumshadow

Is a separate phonics program recommended in addition to reading opportunities for a young student who reads well. I have a 6 year old who reads at a mid 2nd grade level.  That level is far from mastery though. Should I still be covering phonics with her?

That particular video speaks on where to start if your children are behind but I can go look through some others. Monday will be her first day of homeschool so I have not worked on it with her personally outside of her first learning how to read. They do to some degree at school but It's gearsed to the students who are still very early readers. But yes, that was basically my question. Thank you!

I think that at a second grade level some phonics is still needed - can your child read multi-syllable words? Does she know how to read words with the "tion" sound at the end (and its variations). If your phonics is good then it is possible to teach all these things through her reading aloud to you and you teaching the phonics when it is needed. My DD6 is reading consistently at a 5th grade level and yet I have still had to step in at times to check things like open and closed syllables of new words (this is partly a vocabulary issue and partly a phonics issue so I cover both bases). I only teach reading phonics in context as part of her reading practice - she never does worksheets or reads phonics based books - there is more than enough practice in what she is reading if she is sticking on something. She is doing phonics through spelling, however naturally her spelling lags behind her reading and she will not get to the spelling rules in time to make sure that her reading level does not suffer in the mean time.

So while the advice here to switch to phonics-based spelling is sound, it is often not quite enough if the child is not yet reading at at least a 4th grade level.

I think that at a second grade level some phonics is still needed - can your child read multi-syllable words? Does she know how to read words with the "tion" sound at the end (and its variations). If your phonics is good then it is possible to teach all these things through her reading aloud to you and you teaching the phonics when it is needed. My DD6 is reading consistently at a 5th grade level and yet I have still had to step in at times to check things like open and closed syllables of new words (this is partly a vocabulary issue and partly a phonics issue so I cover both bases). I only teach reading phonics in context as part of her reading practice - she never does worksheets or reads phonics based books - there is more than enough practice in what she is reading if she is sticking on something. She is doing phonics through spelling, however naturally her spelling lags behind her reading and she will not get to the spelling rules in time to make sure that her reading level does not suffer in the mean time.

So while the advice here to switch to phonics-based spelling is sound, it is often not quite enough if the child is not yet reading at at least a 4th grade level.

I had her do the placement test for AAR to see where we might start , she read all the words with no problem. I had her read this whole thread and the words she had trouble with were: opportunities, and variations but she read "tion".  Involved and consistently- she didn't breeze through but sounded it out in sections and figured it out herself.  I was planning on using sequential spelling.

All my kids were reading early and for my dd I skipped a lot of phonics teaching because she seemed to be moving along alright in her reading. We hit a standstill by the beginning of this year and were weren't getting anywhere. I had her assessed and found out that one of the biggest problems (although not the only problem) was that she didn't know her phonics rules. She was good at guessing and picking out patterns on her own, but because it was just a lot of guessing, she was getting things wrong regularly. For my 7yo ds now, despite him reading at a 3rd grade level, we have continued to study his phonics. He is excellent at figuring out new words and his spelling is lovely. We have skipped ahead with somethings though. If we go over it and he can show that he knows the material, we'll move forward to the next book or lesson.

All my kids were reading early and for my dd I skipped a lot of phonics teaching because she seemed to be moving along alright in her reading. We hit a standstill by the beginning of this year and were weren't getting anywhere. I had her assessed and found out that one of the biggest problems (although not the only problem) was that she didn't know her phonics rules. She was good at guessing and picking out patterns on her own, but because it was just a lot of guessing, she was getting things wrong regularly. For my 7yo ds now, despite him reading at a 3rd grade level, we have continued to study his phonics. He is excellent at figuring out new words and his spelling is lovely. We have skipped ahead with somethings though. If we go over it and he can show that he knows the material, we'll move forward to the next book or lesson.

What phonics program do you use?

What phonics program do you use?

My ds used Explode the Code and works through the workbooks that go with the Pathway readers. They review Phonics in those as well as a little reading comprehension. My dd, now that we are going back and trying to put some info in there, is using Climbing to Good English. It reviews her grammar and goes over the phonics rules. She also uses R&S Spelling. She is already using FLL so she doesn't really need a grammar program, but I didn't want to use the same books as her little brother as I know for her, that would be insulting. I found this which, although it covers some grammar which she doesn't need, it covers the phonics fairly well. They have both been alright with the the books I've picked out for them.

I keep teaching phonics until my children are reading at the 12th grade level. My daughter got there at the end of K, I did a few hours of phonics review at the beginning of the year for the next few years. My son is not there yet, but I will review phonics for 2 to 3 years after he gets there.

I use Webster's Speller, it teaches phonics to the 12th grade level, I also teach syllable division rules.

You can use the things at the end of my how to tutor age, reading and spelling just a few words from each section until you get to harder things, then read the whole section and spell a few words.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

The 1879 McGuffey readers are also good for building up reading and phonics skills, the difficult words are defined and diacritically marked.

I keep teaching phonics until my children are reading at the 12th grade level. My daughter got there at the end of K, I did a few hours of phonics review at the beginning of the year for the next few years. My son is not there yet, but I will review phonics for 2 to 3 years after he gets there.

I use Webster's Speller, it teaches phonics to the 12th grade level, I also teach syllable division rules.

You can use the things at the end of my how to tutor age, reading and spelling just a few words from each section until you get to harder things, then read the whole section and spell a few words.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

The 1879 McGuffey readers are also good for building up reading and phonics skills, the difficult words are defined and diacritically marked.

How does a Ker get to read at a 12th grade level? I clicked on the link, but couldn't make heads or tails of it?

How does a Ker get to read at a 12th grade level? I clicked on the link, but couldn't make heads or tails of it?

The Syllables. You teach the syllables first, then Webster's Speller. Here is a short version with 1 passage for each grade level from 4th to 12th.

They read divided syllables, then learn syllable division rules to divide words on their own, my syllable division rules and exercises are also linked at the end of the page I linked.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/Resources/WebsterSpellingBookMethodExcerpts.pdf