Menu

Baking powder

Night Elf

I can't remember if I asked about this yet. What happens if I add too much baking powder to cupcakes? I have a recipe that turns out horrible, dense, flat cupcakes with holes in the middle and read about adding more baking powder. But I don't know how much to add. The recipe for 24 only calls for 1 teaspoon. Would adding another half a teaspoon help the batter or hurt it? I've posted the recipe before and the best advice I got was to make sure all of my ingredients were fresh. I've replaced all the dry ingredients and my cupcakes still turned out terrible.

I'm inclined to vote for a new recipe too.  If you've tried this one a few times and it hasn't worked, it might be time to move on where there are so many cupcake recipes out there.

But if you're hooked on this recipe, it does seem to me that you could add a little more baking powder.  1 tsp for 24 cupcakes isn't much, although that would depend on how many eggs there are and if it calls for baking soda too.

I think if you add too much baking powder, they will over rise, then completely fall.  Plus, you can taste baking soda, so it would make them taste metallic and bitter.  

1 tsp doesn't seem too much.  Is there baking soda and an acidic ingredient in the cupcakes?

It's Apple cupcakes and despite the cupcakes being a hot mess, it's the most delicious cupcake recipe we have. We've made them 4 times, and last time I just put the batter in a cake pan instead. Here's the recipe:

2 cups granulated sugar

2 large eggs

1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

4 apples cored, peeled and chopped

I did know to cream the butter and sugar because the sugar is granulated. I did the best I could, but it was still grainy after about 7 minutes. I do use a stand-up mixer so maybe I'm just mixing it too much. I did buy all new dry ingredients, including new baking soda and baking powder. I tried to get the moisture out of the apples so they wouldn't be so wet. It helped a little, but did not fix the problem.

I guess I can try to find another apple cupcake recipe, but this one just tastes so good! I got the recipe from Cupcake Wars and they turned out well for the baker! Hmph!

Try mixing it using the "muffin method" (Alton Brown term I think...). Cream the butter and sugar, and add the eggs and mix until they're combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, then stir those in the big mixing bowl using a rubber spatula until it's *just* combined. I would stop short of combined and stir in the apples gently. You may be getting too much air in the batter, which collapses during baking. Overmixing makes it tough too.

Mmm, apple cupcakes!