Menu

Special Needs high school question: IEP or 504?

My 15yo freshman has ONE outsourced class: Biology. And while the teacher stated that she has a learning disability of her own, she doesn't seem

to be willing to give my daughter any wiggle room for hers.  Today, in fact, she emailed me to let me know dd had done her homework in green colored pencil

and that "in high school, ALL work should be done in (regular) pencil."  I've also spoken to this teacher about having my daughter do her weekly element quizzes orally 

instead of written. She said she'd be willing to do that but couldn't figure out when since she takes care of other classroom business while the kids are taking their quizzes.

Do I need to figure this out for her (the teacher)?? I don't really have anything against this teacher, but I just feel like she expects my daughter to 'be like every other student' and

she is most definitely not!

So now I'm looking into either getting a high school IEP done for her or a 504. Any thoughts? suggestions?

When you say "outsourced" is this through the public school or through a home-school co-op program?

If it's through the public school I would suggest a call to the guidance counselor requesting a 504 plan be put into place.  This would allow your dd to have accommodations in the classroom.  You would have a 504 meeting w/ yourself, your dd, generally the guidance counselor, the teacher and frequently someone from Special Ed is included, but not always.  By implementing the 504 you are making sure that you're all on the same page as to what accommodations the teacher is to provide and what your dd will be responsible for doing.

If it's a co-op class I would determine if your co-op has any requirements in place for teachers accommodating students with disabilities.  If not then it will be up to you, the teacher and your dd to set up what you think is resonable for accommodating her.

A 504 is specifically behavioral modifications. An IEP is learning disability. Though both are connected through the Special Education department, they are handled differently. You need to talk very carefully to the special education teacher and NOT the guidance counselor. Honestly, after years of working with at risk populations (over 65 percent of my kids had modifications through 504 or IEP ) guidance counselors mean well but do not understand the legal ramifications of these distinctions. Once your child is out of public school it is very hard to have them directly identified at the college level. So getting correct designations in place during high school becomes important. Secondly, the SpEd department will enforce the modifications with the teacher, not the guidance counselor.

Many teachers are frustrated with modifications. They're pulled tight enough with documentation, they don't want to do more. However, with a SpEd IEP or 504 meeting, teacher's hands are tied. They don't modify, there is documentation in place saying they have to, then the school district listens.

If you call the office or go online you can set up a meeting with the SpEd department. The first one should not involve your daughter so you can be brutally honest about the situation. After that have her attend with you so she is aware of expectations as well. An IEP/504 is like a contract between all parties, so everyone needs to keep up their end.

A 504 is specifically behavioral modifications. An IEP is learning disability. Though both are connected through the Special Education department, they are handled differently. You need to talk very carefully to the special education teacher and NOT the guidance counselor. Honestly, after years of working with at risk populations (over 65 percent of my kids had modifications through 504 or IEP ) guidance counselors mean well but do not understand the legal ramifications of these distinctions. Once your child is out of public school it is very hard to have them directly identified at the college level. So getting correct designations in place during high school becomes important. Secondly, the SpEd department will enforce the modifications with the teacher, not the guidance counselor.

Many teachers are frustrated with modifications. They're pulled tight enough with documentation, they don't want to do more. However, with a SpEd IEP or 504 meeting, teacher's hands are tied. They don't modify, there is documentation in place saying they have to, then the school district listens.

If you call the office or go online you can set up a meeting with the SpEd department. The first one should not involve your daughter so you can be brutally honest about the situation. After that have her attend with you so she is aware of expectations as well. An IEP/504 is like a contract between all parties, so everyone needs to keep up their end.

Actually, at the high school end for what the mother is requesting it's a 504 request bec she's requesting accommodation in the classroom and not remediation or special educational assistance.  In the majority of public schools I've been affliated with, the 504 plans are written w/ the guidance counselor, teachers, parents and student  - frequently after a child's disability has been verified by the Spec Ed dept.  Some disctricts will have a 504 compliance officer that attends or at least is made aware of the request.   At the college level the student must take their documentation of a disability to the Disability Coordinator and request the accommodation so experience in high school communicating that request and utilizing that accommodation is beneficial. 

So now I'm looking into either getting a high school IEP done for her or a 504. Any thoughts? suggestions?

Has she had an IEP or 504 before? If not, you should realize that it will take about 90 days to get it in place. This varies state to state, but here they have 30 days to gather facts, then 60 days after that to test, confer and call an IEP/504 plan meeting. This is not something you just run up to the school and work out in a quick meeting. At this point in the school year, the class will be almost over before a plan can be put into place. Most special ed departments have a lot of testing to do this time of year and are going to use every second of the maximum time allotted to them by law.

That said, if you plan on her taking other classes at this school in the future, or even if you don't but want to start getting your documentation prepared for college, it may still be worth beginning this process.

If the class is through a program with accreditation, you may need an IEP to get accommodations for special needs. They may adhere to certain rules to meet the requirements for accreditation. 

I teach in an online program that is accredited. Here is an example when I would need an IEP that included a specific accomodation for dysgraphia. For some exams students are permitted to use their own handwritten notes. If I have documentation of dysgraphia I can tell exam proctors typewritten notes are permitted. If I don't have official documentation, such an accomodation cannot be permitted. 

Some places will not permit any accommodation without IEP on any work done in the class. 

Getting an IEP (or even a 504) takes quite a bit of time and expense. 

Thanks for the input, all. Yes, she had an IEP a few years back when she was in elementary school (6th grade). I have not needed one for her since then, since we've done her schooling at home. This year we outsourced one class, which is where I think the accommodations need to come into play. (Side note on the green pencil: she doesn't always use it, it was just available, and it is a pencil, after all. Think Aspie literal world here.)

I will be calling the school district SpEd Director to talk about my options. I am considering having her do future science classes at the local high school and some community college classes (thus getting dual credit).

Based on what's been said here, I think I should look into both options ASAP.