Menu

Fourth Grade History/ Geography anyone?

NikkiMarieLG

K12's History 4 is excellent.  Also K12's *concise* version of the Hakim series is intended to be used by 5th and 6th graders, but we used it in 4th grade, and it was great.  The Human Odyssey series from K12 is also excellent, but if you're wanting to do 1850-present, the third book in the series (which covers 1914-present) is intended for 9th graders and would likely be a bit too much in 4th grade.  If you're wanting to start with the Ancients again, HO may work as well.

My rising fourth grader is going to have a geography year, using Trail Guide to World Geography as our main spine. I bought the extra books to go with it (correlated cooking and art), and the recommended atlas, but I skipped on the notebooking pages and lapbook. We'll be adding literature, Children Just Like Me, and tales from around the world.

Which Beautiful Feet program are you using? I was just looking at it for next year for my rising 5th grader and rising 1st (with modifications). I was wondering if the middle grades programs (4th-8th) REALLY work for the lower end and aren't too hard. That's a big developmental span imo.

J.

Which Beautiful Feet program are you using? I was just looking at it for next year for my rising 5th grader and rising 1st (with modifications). I was wondering if the middle grades programs (4th-8th) REALLY work for the lower end and aren't too hard. That's a big developmental span imo.

J.

I'm actually using the Early American Primary.  I probably could have gone with the Intermediate.  But, we are really enjoying the books in the Primary.  I've been recently comparing the Primary and Intermediate and about 5 of the books are repeated.  There seems to be a bit more about slavery in the Intermediate.  In their catalog BF says that the Intermediate can be used "as a starting point or a continuation of the Primary guide".  So, I think we'll just continue with the Intermediate for next year, skipping the books we will have already read in the Primary, of course.

This is the first year that I've ever enjoyed history (and we've been homeschooling a looong time).  Jr. Batgirl loves this so much that she wants to go through every single BF guide with books until she graduates, LOL (prior to this year, she HATED history with a passion because we tried unsuccessfully to use HO, which she didn't like at.all)!  I actually figured out how we can do it.  It's a relief to finally have history figured out for the long haul. 

In my catalog it lists the Intermediate as 4th-6th.  You might consider e-mailing BF with your questions; they've always been quick to reply and have been helpful.