Menu

Transcript question

Ds took French 1A in 7th grade and French 1B in 8th grade (from The Potter's School), which is equivalent of high school French 1.  How do I show that he has completed the first high school French course on the transcript?  Do I just show French 1 in 9th grade, and show completion date at the end of 9th grade?

If those courses together constitute French 1, I would list French 1 as "taken before 9th grade". Some people have an extra section in the transcript; I list mine with 9th grade but in Italic, and explain in the legend that "Italic type: course taken before 9th grade. Not included in GPA or number of credits".

Any detailed explanation about the course would go in the course descriptions.

I want to show that ds has had 3 years of French on the transcript. 

But he hasn't.  If he finishes French 2 at the end of ninth grade, that's what he's accomplished -- French 2.  Done with grammar, ready for literature.  It doesn't matter if he had one year of prep work to make it to that point or ten.

The purpose of the transcript is to show what the student did in high school.

I want to show that ds has had 3 years of French on the transcript.  So If I don't count what he's taken in middle school, would that present a problem as far as showing that he's had 3 years of French?

He will have had three calendar years of French by taking French 1A, 1B, and 2.  That would only count as two academic years of French (French 1 and French 2).  I would recommend that your son continue through at least French 3, if possible, and then take the SAT subject test in French.

Regards,

Kareni

This book The Official Study Guide for ALL SAT Subject Tests, 2nd Edition by The College Board has a sample test of all the subject tests.  Your library may well have a copy.

Regards,

Kareni

Definitely get this book and have him do a practice test to see if he's ready.  If he is going to continue with French, you might want to wait to have him take the subject test.  My kids took it the same year they took the AP (equivalent to French 5).

When a college says they want three years of a foreign language, I take that to mean they want three years taken in high school, just like they want four years of math, whether you end at Algebra II or Multivariable Calculus.

I suppose each college could be different and if you want to be sure, you should call a couple and ask if French in middle school counts toward the three years.