Menu

Science co-op for early elementary

T'smom

I have a group of hs'ers that is mostly 1-2nd graders and we were thinking that we would like to get together to do science projects next year. We're all doing different things for science, so I'd like to do a variety of topics. I'd really like it to be very hands on. Does anyone have any really great books to recommend for fun science experiment/projects. I know I could probably pull this together from a ton of different sources, but it would really be easier to have one main source. I'm not really a fan of VanCleave books.

I think BFSU actually works really well for this. I did 16 weeks from volume 1 last year with 1st and 2nd graders, then I am doing 8 more weeks of different BFSU lessons with 1-3rd graders this winter/spring (after taking a break from BFSU to do a human body semester using various scholastic printables this past fall).

We have a science unit in our co-op that is really "hands on," with lots of experiments and projects. It's not my favorite class, though. It doesn't add that much to our school experience, and I'd almost rather it be a different topic altogether. There isn't an overarching theme, no knowledge building on previous knowledge, nothing furthering their nascent idea of the scientific method. 

I'd be really attracted to a science class that integrated BFSU or some other gentle, non-workbooky curriculum that moved forward. 

We have a science unit in our co-op that is really "hands on," with lots of experiments and projects. It's not my favorite class, though. It doesn't add that much to our school experience, and I'd almost rather it be a different topic altogether. There isn't an overarching theme, no knowledge building on previous knowledge, nothing furthering their nascent idea of the scientific method.

I'd be really attracted to a science class that integrated BFSU or some other gentle, non-workbooky curriculum that moved forward.

This is an interesting perspective. It seems that the group of moms I have been talking with are wanting more fun/social interaction from this than specific science content. We all have different science curricula that we are using on our own and I thought it would be hard to find something that would be unifying. But no one has articulated those thoughts yet, so I guess I should float that idea around. It's not a "real" co-op, it's just a few moms who like each other and don't really like the other options, so we're getting our kids together to do some fun art and science projects and socialize. But maybe we could meet those goals while doing some more serious learning.

Hmmm, lots to think on!! Thanks!!

I agree that bfsu could really work. While it is confusing in terms of what order to do it in, I don't think it's haphazard. It's definitely possible to turn it into units, as often there are 3-4 lessons in a strand that delve more and more deeply into a topic. Also, have you seen the interest boards for it?

My kids do a science group using Engineering I'd Elemental materials from the museum of science in Boston. Each unit is 4 weeks and includes a hands-on project. It's very well done, but not quite as affordable as bfsu, of course.

Actually, I just put together something very similar last semester -- a 1-hour, hands-on science class for gr. 1-3, and then again for gr. 4-6. While the focus was hands-on, the first 10 minutes or so was explaining the overarching concept, and then the students moved through 4-5 experiments at centers, with each experiment bringing out a different aspect of the overall concept. Also, I worked it so that the concepts were somewhat related from week to week, so we could build on previous knowledge, and refer back to previous experiments and concepts for explanations and making connections with the current week's topic and experiments.

MASSIVE amount of time investment for me because I pulled the whole thing together (not from a single spine resource), but everyone loved it.

Earth Science

week 1 = structure of Earth, plate tectonics

week 2 = volcanoes

week 3 = earthquakes

week 4 = rocks (3 types/how formed)

week 5 = rocks (rock testing)

week 6 = erosion and land forms

Chemistry

week 7 = water chemistry

week 8 = states of matter (solid, liquid, gas)

week 9 = pH, acid & base

week 10 = Christmas Chemistry (misc. fun, slightly holiday related experiments)

Did you see the recent thread on project-based engineering? Lots of fun stuff there! Also, building structures and experimenting with different building materials and testing strengths.

What about spending a class experimenting with slowing descent/cushioning fall by building contraptions out of recyclable materials, putting a raw egg in it, and a parent drops them one by one from a second story or top of a ladder to see how they succeeded/failed?

Physics topics are super and can often be contained single-class units:

- magnets

- electricity

- light & optics

- sound

- flight

- rockets

- motion

- simple machines

Good luck! Science in the young grades is super fun! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Actually, I just put together something very similar last semester -- a 1-hour, hands-on science class for gr. 1-3, and then again for gr. 4-6. While the focus was hands-on, the first 10 minutes or so was explaining the overarching concept, and then the students moved through 4-5 experiments at centers, with each experiment bringing out a different aspect of the overall concept. Also, I worked it so that the concepts were somewhat related from week to week, so we could build on previous knowledge, and refer back to previous experiments and concepts for explanations and making connections with the current week's topic and experiments.

MASSIVE amount of time investment for me because I pulled the whole thing together (not from a single spine resource), but everyone loved it.

Earth Science

week 1 = structure of Earth, plate tectonics

week 2 = volcanoes

week 3 = earthquakes

week 4 = rocks (3 types/how formed)

week 5 = rocks (rock testing)

week 6 = erosion and land forms

Chemistry

week 7 = water chemistry

week 8 = states of matter (solid, liquid, gas)

week 9 = pH, acid & base

week 10 = Christmas Chemistry (misc. fun, slightly holiday related experiments)

Did you see the recent thread on project-based engineering? Lots of fun stuff there! Also, building structures and experimenting with different building materials and testing strengths.

What about spending a class experimenting with slowing descent/cushioning fall by building contraptions out of recyclable materials, putting a raw egg in it, and a parent drops them one by one from a second story or top of a ladder to see how they succeeded/failed?

Physics topics are super and can often be contained single-class units:

- magnets

- electricity

- light & optics

- sound

- flight

- rockets

- motion

- simple machines

Good luck! Science in the young grades is super fun! Warmest regards, Lori D.

This is great! A couple of us are doing the WTM recs for 2nd grade for earth/space topics, so those first few would fit right in. There is a ton of stuff on Pinterest, but I was kindof hoping to find it all already in a book for me!