Menu

Big picture?

As my eldest is getting ready to enter 5th grade and we are leaving CC, I'm needing to solidify some things in my mind!  I've got ideas in my mind but was wanting to hear other people's input!  What is the purpose of Middle School?  What does your "Big Picture" look like for 5th-12th grade?   For example, 1 year of US History in Middle School and late High School along with going through 2 3-yr cycles of World History.   What are some resources/curriculum that you just loved?  

I'll try this one, not necessarily because I know what I'm talking about, but it does make a nice excuse for procrastinating from the mending . . . :)

Dd10 is solidly in the Logic Stage now.  We follow WTM pretty closely with her.  For her, these four years are about learning to find the info herself instead of having me feed it to her, especially in history and science.  I'm hoping to excite her about primary sources enough that she'll be looking forward to a third cycle through history via primary source documents in the Rhetoric Stage (high school).  For science, I want her to get some of the "I wonder what would happen if I . . ." attitude that dd7 has had since she was born.  And again, when she's curious about something, I encourage her to research it.  I'm not sure what science will look like in high school, but whatever she delves into, I want some connections to be there - "Pluto - right, they don't call it a planet anymore.  Why?  Umm . . . something about a group of people getting together to make a new classification . . . ?" - so that the more thorough coverage of information she'll be studying will fit fully onto the scaffolding she's now building.  I'm assuming we'll cycle through 4 years of science twice through Logic and Rhetoric.

In Literature, I'm treading a balance, trying to challenge her a bit without tossing her sensitive soul into the deep end - her reading level is far beyond her emotional maturity.  Writing is one of her fortes, so I want to give her the tools (grammar, vocabulary, etc.) to really take off when she hits Rhetoric.  Literature-wise, dh and I have agreed that he'll take her through the Great Books when she gets there.  :)

Languages are another forte, so we're working through French early in hopes of (possibly, if the interest is still there) having time for her to do another MFL in high school if she wishes.  Because, you know, she likes it.

In math, well . . . we just keep plugging away.  :)  It would be nice for her to get through Trig in High School and have the time to take Calculus if she wants to.

One of the things I feel strongly about for a kid her age is that she needs to have something at which she can excel, and (if possible) be recognized for it.  It's even better if that hobby/talent can be used to express herself.  Poetry, music, dance, writing - something that will give her the means to deal with teenage angst before it slops all over everyone around her.  This is purely hypothetical, of course, because I haven't raised any teenagers yet.  But it's my working theory.

Dd7 is still a couple years away from Logic Stage, but I can already tell that she'll be different.  (Of course!)  I don't think she'll be terribly into languages, so we'll probably just try to accomplish some solid Latin and one MFL.  I'm hoping that we'll be able to heavily encourage her in art and possibly STEM-type stuff.  We'll see.

Basically, because I want the Rhetoric Stage (high school) to be about mopping up the remnants of the basics while freeing the young adult to focus on strengths and explore content, I see the Logic Stage as a time of learning to self-feed, cementing basics, and finding some hobby to dig into.

Of course, we're still mostly at the front end of the Logic Stage, so take all this for what it's worth!  :)

Mama Anna

I'll try this one, not necessarily because I know what I'm talking about, but it does make a nice excuse for procrastinating from the mending . . . :)

Dd10 is solidly in the Logic Stage now. We follow WTM pretty closely with her. For her, these four years are about learning to find the info herself instead of having me feed it to her, especially in history and science. I'm hoping to excite her about primary sources enough that she'll be looking forward to a third cycle through history via primary source documents in the Rhetoric Stage (high school). For science, I want her to get some of the "I wonder what would happen if I . . ." attitude that dd7 has had since she was born. And again, when she's curious about something, I encourage her to research it. I'm not sure what science will look like in high school, but whatever she delves into, I want some connections to be there - "Pluto - right, they don't call it a planet anymore. Why? Umm . . . something about a group of people getting together to make a new classification . . . ?" - so that the more thorough coverage of information she'll be studying will fit fully onto the scaffolding she's now building. I'm assuming we'll cycle through 4 years of science twice through Logic and Rhetoric.

In Literature, I'm treading a balance, trying to challenge her a bit without tossing her sensitive soul into the deep end - her reading level is far beyond her emotional maturity. Writing is one of her fortes, so I want to give her the tools (grammar, vocabulary, etc.) to really take off when she hits Rhetoric. Literature-wise, dh and I have agreed that he'll take her through the Great Books when she gets there. :)

Languages are another forte, so we're working through French early in hopes of (possibly, if the interest is still there) having time for her to do another MFL in high school if she wishes. Because, you know, she likes it.

In math, well . . . we just keep plugging away. :) It would be nice for her to get through Trig in High School and have the time to take Calculus if she wants to.

One of the things I feel strongly about for a kid her age is that she needs to have something at which she can excel, and (if possible) be recognized for it. It's even better if that hobby/talent can be used to express herself. Poetry, music, dance, writing - something that will give her the means to deal with teenage angst before it slops all over everyone around her. This is purely hypothetical, of course, because I haven't raised any teenagers yet. But it's my working theory.

Dd7 is still a couple years away from Logic Stage, but I can already tell that she'll be different. (Of course!) I don't think she'll be terribly into languages, so we'll probably just try to accomplish some solid Latin and one MFL. I'm hoping that we'll be able to heavily encourage her in art and possibly STEM-type stuff. We'll see.

Basically, because I want the Rhetoric Stage (high school) to be about mopping up the remnants of the basics while freeing the young adult to focus on strengths and explore content, I see the Logic Stage as a time of learning to self-feed, cementing basics, and finding some hobby to dig into.

Of course, we're still mostly at the front end of the Logic Stage, so take all this for what it's worth! :)

Mama Anna

I agree with you about a child developing a particular strength, something they can OWN. My ten year old has developed a passion for dance, and I have watched her come alive and develop fire and motivation I never knew was there. I just hope my younger children can find something they can be equally enthusiastic about.

I'm watching this, because I am still figuring it out.

Sagg is developing his own interests. He is raring to accelerate in math, branch off on his own in science.

We are finishing our first cycle next year, but he is already starting to read more in depth materials. He is not as excited about it as I would like.

My main goal for 6th grade is to get his writing up to speed. He has struggled greatly in this area, but I am finally starting to see a spark. 

I see the logic stage as the time for him to start taking charge of his own education. Moving towards more individual study, discovering his own interests. Developing the skills to be able to learn on his own.

Below is my now-amended answer from the thread "What do "seventh grade" and "ninth grade" look like to you?". Hope it helps! Warmest regards, Lori D.

My answer is for the *average* student, NOT advanced, and NOT remedial. Of course, everyone's list will look a little different -- mine is based on our 2 DSs (one well above average, but not "gifted"; the other very bright, but with mild learning issues, which moved him into the remedial area for math, writing, spelling, and most independent work). Also you may want to look at the World Book "typical course of study" lists online for each grade level to have a general feel for what typically is covered in public schools at which grade.

In general, students develop the abstract thinking and logic portions of the brain around age 13-14. Some develop earlier -- age 12; a few later -- age 15-16. Abstract thinking/logic is used heavily in Algebra, Logic, and analysis (literary and film analysis; making historical connections; science labs/analysis/connections). Why I bring this up is that this really needs to be taken into consideration in planning for your students -- there is still a pretty big development curve in grades 7, 8, 9, 10, so what is "average" is a pretty wide field.

Another thing to keep in mind is that girls tend to mature sooner than boys. In addition, adolescent and puberty are huge factors to take into account -- bodies are changing and growing fast, hormones are raging, and all of it takes away from abilities to focus, remember, deal with complex/analytical/abstract subjects.

So... with all of the above as my explanation, this is just my very "big picture" set of expectations for an *average* student, depending on the individual student's mental and physical development:

GENERAL / DEVELOPMENTAL MILESTONES -- grades 7-8 (ages 12-14)
- solidify foundational skills
- you still go over the teaching instruction portion of the lesson with the student (i.e., average student not reading/learning/doing completely independent of you)
- you heavily guide discussions/analysis (Literature, Science, Logic, History, etc.)
- you heavily involved in writing revisions, and with helping in initial writing organization/brainstorming and structuring of paragraphs or papers
- note: beginning hormonal changes which will affect schooling

SPECIFIC SUBJECT GOALS -- grades 7-8 (ages 12-14)

Physical Development = regular cardio physical exercise (30-45 min/session, 3-4 days/week a huge help), along with good nutrition and move away from junk/fast food a big help at this age.

Outside Goals = middle school is often the last opportunity for exploring "bunny trails", and having relaxed time to follow or develop personal interests -- take advantage of that by not over-planning your middle school schedule, or make everything "high-school level" in middle school.

Math = typically Pre-Algebra or Algebra

Science = typically General Science, or Physical Science, or Biology; can focus on a subject of interest (Forensics, Earth Science, Astronomy, Marine Biology, etc.)

History = typically whatever time period families want to cover before high school years; some prefer a year of Geography; others may prefer a year of "Worldview and Comparative Religions"; or, skip History in order to pursue other interest

Reading (at this level, it is now "Literature") 
- beginning to read easier classics (ex: Call of the Wild; Animal Farm; or Adventures of Tom Sawyer with some jargon and vocabulary help) as Literature
- learning literary elements, beginning gentle introductory literary analysis

Writing
- use of a writing program for instruction
- learning how to organize thoughts
- key word outlines
- learning how to write a solid paragraph
- proofing symbols, and beginning to proof own writing as one step in the multi-step process of writing
- attempting 3 and 5 paragraph essays
- if ready, possible occasional short History research papers and Science lab reports

Grammar
- practicing grammar mechanics and word usage
- formal grammar instruction in word usage, types of sentences, more complex types of modifiers, and diagramming (if desired)

Spelling
- solidify vowel patterns, syllabication rules, etc.
- possible tie in with vocabulary, word roots, foreign word spelling patterns
- note: some students are natural spellers and don't need spelling after grade 6; in contrast, some are strugglers, and it may be helpful to continue through grade 9, 10, 11

Logic
- critical thinking puzzles, moving towards beginning formal Logic topics, discussion, etc.

- some students are ready for an intro-level Logic program -- example: focusing on types of fallacies

Study Skills
- use of reference materials
- library organization and finding materials
- beginning time management and schedule skills
- beginning note taking and outlining skills
- learn touch typing (all papers typed in high school)

GENERAL / DEVELOPMENTAL MILESTONES -- gr. 8-9 (ages 13-15)
- begin to transition into high school amounts of work, study skills, responsibilities (i.e., some areas still at middle school level, others at high school level)
- depending on the student, beginning to hand off some instruction to the student to do independently (areas that are typically more complex, such as math and science, the average student probably still wants some interaction)
- you still guide discussions/analysis (Literature, Science, Logic, History, etc.) 
- you still involved in writing (initial organization, structuring, revisions...)
- note: boy hormones/development often results in a lot of friction of working with/under mom

SPECIFIC SUBJECT GOALS -- grades 8-9 (ages 13-15)

Physical Development = at this point regular cardio physical exercise (30-45 min/session, 3-4 days/week a huge help) and good nutrition a *huge* "must" for taking the edge off of attitudes. Also consider moving towards starting a bit later in the day, as teen sleep patterns shift towards later night/later rising in morning; shoot for longer hours of sleep as well for most nights of the week. 

Outside Goals = look into extracurriculars that support personal interests; consider outside activities and community service to encourage developing new interests, or use towards academic credits

Math = typically: Pre-Algebra or Algebra or Geometry

Science = typically: Physical Science, Biology, Chemistry

History = typically: World History

Literature
- reading primarily classics
- learning literary elements, using them with more literary analysis
- exposure to a variety of literature types: poetry, essay, short story, play, as well as the novel/novella

- discussion of literature; occasional writing about literature

Writing
- use of a writing program for continued instruction in writing
- 3 and 5 paragraph essays (compare/contrast; process paper; character analysis; definition; etc.)
- occasional short History research papers and Science lab reports

Grammar
- practicing grammar mechanics and word usage
- final formal grammar instruction, if needed

Spelling
- probably no formal spelling, unless it is a weak area, OR, spelling that is vocabulary-based

Logic
- beginning formal Logic program

Other Credit Possibilities

- Electives, Foreign Language, Fine Arts, PE, Health

Study Skills
- continue honing skills from above
- PSAT and possible SAT/ACT test prep and practice

GENERAL / DEVELOPMENTAL MILESTONES -- gr. 9-10 (ages 14-16)
- working at high school level of increased work load/complexity of material, and moving towards more independent working
- you guide discussions/analysis, but students are inputting much more (not so much like "pulling teeth")
- note: still a lot of teen hormones/development with resulting attitudes, friction, etc.

SPECIFIC SUBJECT GOALS -- grades 9-10 (ages 14-16)

Physical Development = good lifestyle choices/habits -- exercise, nutrition, etc. Still more sleep, and a later start to allow for shift in teen sleeping patterns; watch out for depression and/or stress

Outside Goals = look into extracurriculars that support personal interests; consider outside activities and community service to encourage developing new interests, or use towards academic credits

Math = typically: Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2

Science
- Biology, Chemistry

- read/learn/study from a formal textbook

- labs (experiments), using equipment, doing dissection, understanding process
- formal lab reports (includes data tables, graphs, charts, etc.)

History / Social Studies
- use of primary source documents
- independent research and longer paper

Literature
- read, discuss, write about classics and/or standard high school works

- cover a variety of types of literature: novels, short stories, poetry, essays, biography/autobiography

Writing
- practice timed essay practice from a prompt; work up from 1 solid paragraph in 10 minutes, to solid 5-paragrah essay in 25 minutes

- at least 1 multi-page (3-5 pages) research paper with citations in MLA (or other) format each year

- practice "real-life" writing (business letters, resumes, explanations, blog articles, writing to support a presentation, etc.)

- if interested in/gifted in creative writing, find a way to encourage/develop it

Grammar
- optional: light review/GUM practice as needed

Vocabulary
- optional: root-based program, and/or, vocabulary from the Literature

- Electives, Foreign Language, Fine Arts, Computer/Tech, PE, Health

Study Skills
- practice college classroom skills (ex: responsible for homework, deadlines, online aspects, etc.)
- practice note taking from lectures (live and/or DVD)

GENERAL / DEVELOPMENTAL MILESTONES -- grades 10-12 (ages 15-19)
- over the course of these 3 years, move to full independent working; your role has moved to administrator/mentor/counselor
- over the course of these 3 years, your role moves to discussion/grading papers (probably now 1-3x/week rather than daily)
- potential dual enrollment of community college coursework (esp. in grades 11 and 12)
- note: over these 3 years, boy hormones settling down (get their "brains back", attitudes improve; begin to move towards leadership and responsibility)

SPECIFIC SUBJECT GOALS -- grades 10-12 (ages 15-18)

Physical Development = good lifestyle choices/habits -- exercise, nutrition, etc. Still more sleep, and a later start to allow for shift in teen sleeping patterns; watch out for depression or stress; watch out for overloaded schedule what with work, extracurriculars, heavy academic load

Outside Goals = extracurriculars, community service, outside activities all contribute towards helping students figure out what they might want to do as a career -- and they all look good for college admissions and scholarship applications

Math = typically: Geometry, Algebra 2, Trig/Pre-Calc., Calculus (or other advanced math)

Science

- typically: Chemistry, Physics, Advanced Sciences

- read/learn/study from a formal textbook
- formal lab reports (includes data tables, graphs, charts, etc.)

- for STEM-students, at 1-2 Advanced Science courses

History / Social Studies
- use of primary source documents
- independent research and longer papers

- may have finished with History, and be taking "Social Studies" courses of Economics, Government, Psychology, Anthropology, Sociology, etc.

Literature
- read, discuss, write about classics

- consider selecting from "college-bound reading lists" to pre-read/prepare for college courses

Writing
- weekly timed essay practice from a prompt
- write a variety of types of papers, longer papers
- count essays for college entrance and scholarship applications as writing assignments

- practice "real-life" writing 

- if interested in/gifted in creative writing, find a way to encourage/develop it

Grammar
- optional: light review/GUM practice as needed

Vocabulary
- optional: often more geared toward SAT prep

- Electives, Foreign Language, Fine Arts, Advanced Computer, Vocational coursework, etc.

Study Skills
- practice college classroom skills (ex: responsible for homework, deadlines, online aspects, etc.)
- practice note taking from lectures (live and/or DVD)

Lori D., thank you - one thing that made your response so helpful was the focus on the whole child - their physical and emotional development, as well as academic.

Shannon is a young, but early blooming 6th grader. So last year at 10, in 5th grade, she had a lot of the early puberty emotional rollercoaster stuff going on, while her brain wasn't fully logic stage, still getting there.  This year - at 11 - she is much more settled and mature, much readier to grapple with problems, have interesting discussions, flashes of insight, and is fully able to do a day's work independently (she does this every Friday, as I work).  She needs me for discussion, for context-setting/prelection, and she does still count on me to decide on the "what" - with a lot of input - she's not ready to fully own what she studies, she doesn't even want to, she trusts me to know what she needs to know.  I involve her in my planning, but it's more me suggesting something and her saying "Oh, that sounds cool" or me hearing her talk about how much she's enjoying something (astronomy, poetry) so deciding to slow down and let her spend more time on the topic.  

She is writing well, but needs scaffolding during the planning/outlining stages, and during the revision stage.  It's interesting, I've seen the real payoff for spending a lot of time on summaries - she has that skill down so solidly that it is fairly effortless, so the mental energy now goes into the analysis piece, as well as working on things like introductions and conclusions and how to organize arguments so they have the greatest impact.  It's good to be at a place where the content piece isn't taking a lot of effort so she can focus on the next part.

She has extracurricular interests/passions - drama and horseback riding - which really engage her and offer her social outlets as well.  I agree that this is a really important thing for this age group.  This is her 4th year participating in drama and community youth theater, and she has her first lead role, and seeing how seriously she is taking it, and how focused she is, is really wonderful.  It's something she's worked hard for, and so seeing it pay off is very rewarding.

My feeling about content during junior high is that it is a great time to do big picture stuff, make connections, and help set context.  I don't want to just do accelerated high school, I want to use the time and freedom of not having to worry about transcripts to explore interests, but even more than that, to find interests - to find out what's out there that may turn into an interest.  To that end, we're doing a meander through Big History and Ancient History for the next couple of years - very flexible, with time spent on big picture overview as well as detailed digging in to topics/areas of interest.  Similarly with science - rather than just doing physics and chemistry (my original thought), we're going to do Big Science, studying science in an integrated way motivated by big questions - origins, evolution, is there life elsewhere in the universe and how would we find it - stuff like that.  We're also going to study human origins, which lets us bring in anthropology, archaeology, etc. , exposure to topics that may or may not grab an interest for future studies/specialization.

I'm really looking forward to this time - having a more mature, more interested and interesting student, and the opportunity to lay out the world of knowledge and ideas in front of her and say "This is your oyster, baby.  What do you want to do with it?"  To that end, a continuing focus is strong basic skills - math, reading and notetaking, writing - so that all doors remain open at this point.  She can specialize in high school, if she wants to, but I want to keep all options open for her until that focus comes from her.