Menu

Saxon Author Stephen Hake, Part 4 ("Math Wars")

Hi,

I am a long time lurker here at the WTM but this is my first post.  This post is primarily for Saxon Math users who may be interested in some clarity about editions from the opinion of the lead author himself.  He also provides some interesting commentary on the history of Saxon.

I know there are many on here who don't use Saxon or who don't like the Saxon approach so just ignore this post and reference.

I emailed the author to ask for some clarity about some debates over book editions.  He was very gracious to answer those questions and allowed me to share with the community.  I hope some of you find some value reading his responses.

http://homeschoolingodyssey.wordpress.com

Thank You 

Scott

Thank you for sharing this with us. :-)

The first Saxon book I owned was photocopies of the handwritten pages for Math 76, delivered in the box as it came from the printer. :-) I actually spoke to Steve once, although I don't remember what my questions were, lol.

Thank you SO much for sharing that link. There are some missing holes in my knowledge of the history of the series, that have now been filled in. I realize that my math teaching philosophy is much more Saxon, than Hake, and now I know why I am becoming more and more disenchanted with the series with each new edition.

Thank you!

Thanks for taking the time to post that, Scott.  Mr. Hake's commentary is interesting and detailed.  My boys are both in Saxon, and reading what Mr. Hake has written makes me glad we are using the program and reminds me to keep at it.  I will try to remember that as we slog away through math lessons.  8/7 lessons are looooong, and for my boy with processing deficits, they are difficult.  But as he is truly learning math, they are worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing this.  I especially appreciate the link about cognitive science embedded in the article.  That is just what my Saxon-mom brain needed to hear right now.  Just tonight I was talking with my DH about whether I should just try a different program, or an easier program with my older son.  Reading that article reminded me about what I had chosen Saxon in the first place.  It can be tedious at times, (too tedious!), so it is good to better understand the underlying philosophy and to stay the course. 

you're welcome sarahinwa!  I love getting his viewpoint of this stuff also.

Serenade,  yeah it is good to be reminded why Saxon math produces such great results over time for most of us.  I loved the lin to the cognitive science also.

you're welcome sarahinwa!  I love getting his viewpoint of this stuff also.

Serenade,  yeah it is good to be reminded why Saxon math produces such great results over time for most of us.  I loved the lin to the cognitive science also.

I think I'm going to print this out so it is easy to reference, and also to share it with my son.   I'm wondering if he read some of this,  if he would understand better why it's good for him to suffer through it!  :p