Menu

It's Fun Friday! What are your plans?

Kidlit

We try to shake things up a bit on Fridays. Today we're doing a quick review of memory work, playing Contig from the Let's Play Math website, having poetry tea time with a pile of poetry and picture books, and doing some history readings. Oh, and reading aloud from The Black Cauldron and whatever else strikes our fancy. My 9 year old has a few leftover lessons (WWE, spelling, typing, and a final copy of her history paragraphs) to finish up. First, though, the girls are doing piano practice and Bible study lessons. Later today we're heading to the library for a homeschool craft and game activity.

Do you do something fun on Fridays?

Today for history we're finishing up our unit of Medieval Japan. DD is creating sticker paper dolls. (I made extra copies of the girl, so she can use all of the outfits at once.)

7136ZSRABGL._AA160_.gif

And, we're also making these adorable carp kites. (Probably, not Medieval, but still fun.)

f56331f92eb947bb4b232cb8449fec37.jpg Sorry, the pic is so big.

And, the mail lady is supposed to bring these today.

51CgtryqngL._SP160,160,0,T_.jpg

OMGoodness, those carp kites are ADORABLE!  We're reading Where the Mountain Meets the Moon and I think we'll totally steal that idea and make goldfish later today!

We've been out and about this a.m.  Went to the "feed 'n seed" and looked at the baby chicks.  Went to the library and youngest sat in on story-time while big sis & I picked out books.  Stopped by a pond to look for critters.  Later today we'll go back to the library for a "bring your doll/tea party" thing...

Here's the link in case you decide to make them.

http://squirrellyminds.com/2013/05/03/koinobori-japanese-flying-carp-diy/

PS - DD would love the tea party thing. Wish we lived closer to a library that did such things.

OMGoodness, those carp kites are ADORABLE!  We're reading Where the Mountain Meets the Moon and I think we'll totally steal that idea and make goldfish later today!

We've been out and about this a.m.  Went to the "feed 'n seed" and looked at the baby chicks.  Went to the library and youngest sat in on story-time while big sis & I picked out books.  Stopped by a pond to look for critters.  Later today we'll go back to the library for a "bring your doll/tea party" thing...

We went to the state park and participated in the animal tracks class. They made animal track nature guides, and then went on a hike to find and identify some. Next we took the truck to be washed, went and picked up my new glasses, and bought dd12 a bathing suit so she has something to wear to a pool party on Sunday. Then we came home and did some math. Now, the girls are out playing with the neighborhood kids while I make dinner. They will read for a bit before bed. All around a very enjoyable day.

Nothing super-fun, just less of the same stuff (no grammar, writing, spelling or Latin). Extra outside play time, tumbling. She almost got to go riding, but it got dark too fast. Oh well, tomorrow she tumbles at the gym for 3 hours in the morning and then has riding for about 4 hours in the afternoon. Pretty much an ideal day, in her eyes. Well, except for the hour of guitar practice. 

Today for history we're finishing up our unit of Medieval Japan. DD is creating sticker paper dolls. (I made extra copies of the girl, so she can use all of the outfits at once.)

7136ZSRABGL._AA160_.gif

And, we're also making these adorable carp kites. (Probably, not Medieval, but still fun.)

f56331f92eb947bb4b232cb8449fec37.jpg Sorry, the pic is so big.

And, the mail lady is supposed to bring these today.

51CgtryqngL._SP160,160,0,T_.jpg

Thank you for posting the carp kites.  I was planning to do something like this on Monday, and this is so much nicer than what I planned!

It went really well. I pre-cut the tissue paper. I also did the taping, but DD added the scales, made the eyes, etc. It was surprisingly easy and fun. DD's carp turned out really nice too. Doesn't look much different than mine.

Thank you for posting the carp kites.  I was planning to do something like this on Monday, and this is so much nicer than what I planned!

It went really well. I pre-cut the tissue paper. I also did the taping, but DD added the scales, made the eyes, etc. It was surprisingly easy and fun. DD's carp turned out really nice too. Doesn't look much different than mine.

Yay!  We got a chance to make these yesterday and they turned out really cute.  Thanks so much for sharing!