Menu

US Government for 5th Grade? Anyone? Anyone?

We did Notgrass America the Beautiful this year, and we plan to do Uncle Sam and You next year. My son LOVES America the Beautiful, and the work setup is basically the same for both courses. He is really excited about Uncle Sam and You. (We do not do the writing portion or the workbook, but we do most of the literature, the timeline, and the maps.) One thing that I think is particularly nice--they have the kids read from a wide variety of original documents for their courses.

This is probably not what you are looking for, but my 5th grader will do an American Government lapbook from HOAC. He has not done it yet, so I can't comment on the quality.

This is also probably not what you are looking for, but I will have my kids read _Why America is Free: A History of the Founding of the American Republic_. Sources tell me that this is one of the best books for kids regarding understanding the Constitution.

HSLDA has a long list of resources in an article on their website. I think it is called "Teaching Civics from Preschool Through Middle School."