Menu

Looking for physics for 8th graders

Jennefer@SSA

I posted this on the logic board but realized I would possibly get additional help here. So far we have followed a traditional four year cycle (ala WTM) all the way through. Next year we are up to Year 4 - Modern History and Physics. BUT I am not having luck finding physics programs for jr. high students.

I am not sure Noeo is meaty enough to really get students prepared for high school science. Thoughts? I have also looked at Hewitt's Conceptual Physics but it seems like that is for high school although I have read very conflicting things. 

What about Mr. Q's Elementary Physical Science? It's for exactly the age group you're concerned about. It's a little deceptive, not looking as meaty as it really is and is pretty fun as well. My son is using his Chemistry with Uzinggo and I'm really impressed with what he's learning and retaining. 

I'd try not to be too focused on the idea of preparing him for high school science. Most high school science texts I've looked at, and even many first year college ones, don't seem to assume a whole lot of background. They always seem to be pressing the restart button so I think it's quite safe to focus on something that will be enjoyable. Mr. Q is enjoyable AND solid though so you'd have both concerns covered.

Conceptual Physics is accessible to a bright 8th grader. Our local Catholic school uses it for their 9th graders.

Our virtual charter teacher strongly recommended Exploration Education to us. I'm still debating on it because it is pricey, but our teacher raves about it. http://www.explorationeducation.com/overview/AdvancedOverview.html

I'm in a similar boat. I have conceptual physics on my shelf, but I think it might be meatier than what I'm looking for in 7th grade.  We've read the first two Story of Science, so we may just continue that... add in some documentaries, horrible science (Fatal Forces, etc...), Milestones in Science kit, maybe some accessible popular physics book, perhaps a unit on electricity with Snap Circuits.  I want it to be fun and interesting... and not very mathy.  My girl likes her literature and history and I want her to see that physics is fun... so I don't want too rigorous of a program.

Has your student done Algebra? Because the Conceptual Physics classes I looked at (Hewitt, CPO First Physics, etc) have all expected the student to have already had some algebra. They can be learning Algebra concurrently, but there is no guarantee that the algebra that is needed in class will have been covered previously in math class when it is needed in science class. If you are comfortable teaching the necessary (basic) algebra on the fly as it comes up in the physics lessons then a conceptual physics course should be manageable.

If you will not have started Algebra, or you aren't comfortable teaching the algebra as it is needed, then you might consider physical science instead of conceptual physics.  You might consider Derek Owens Physical Science. It is a typical 8th grade level class. It is math based and seems to be rigorous. My son is using it right now and he really liked it. My son is currently taking Algebra and I am thinking that I might have done better with the Derek Owens physics course, I hear that it is algebra based, but I am happy with our choice. If I had had more time to make my decision and been able to email with Mr Owens I would know more about the physics course.

Derek Owens' Physical Science is recommended for 8th or 9th grade.  You can purchase the course materials instead of enrolling in the online class for significant cost savings (around 80% savings, if I remember correctly).

How much math is required? And since there is no teacher manual would it just work to buy the lecture DVD for the teacher and let her watch that to prep for teaching? 

I just went to his site and his About section and FAQ are not up yet. Is his material taught from a Christian perspective and if so is he dogmatic about YE?

Thank you! 

How much math is required? And since there is no teacher manual would it just work to buy the lecture DVD for the teacher and let her watch that to prep for teaching? 

I just went to his site and his About section and FAQ are not up yet. Is his material taught from a Christian perspective and if so is he dogmatic about YE?

Thank you! 

This is where you can purchase the course materials.  It includes video lectures, student workbook, homework, labs (assemble your own materials at home), tests, and answer keys for everything.  He does not state any math requirements for the class, but I think a child who hasn't had prealgebra would be challenged by it.  I recommend watching the sample video to see what you think.  There are a lot of the videos available on Youtube if you need to watch more videos to see whether it would work for your child.  The entire course is not available on Youtube though.

I'm not sure about Christian/secular perspective.  My impression is that it's neutral, but my child does it independently and then I check the work using the answer keys.  I haven't seen anything of a religious nature.

ETA:  I meant to link the sample video.  If you click on "Preview the Course" here, you can see the topics that will be covered.

I have also looked at Hewitt's Conceptual Physics but it seems like that is for high school although I have read very conflicting things. 

My dh is a physics teacher and he uses Hewitt's for his remedial students who cannot handle the math required in a standard high school physics program.  It is perfect for middle school.  It is exactly what the title says, teaching the concepts without the math.  

How about the new Novare Physical Science or Introductory Physics for 9th-10th graders that came out last year. I've heard great things both from a friend of mine who teaches at a classical high school and the latest email from Cathy Duffy Reviews.

http://www.novarescienceandmath.com/

This looks interesting. I was particularly glad to see that it is Christian but not YE: http://www.novarescienceandmath.com/about/textbook-philosophy/

• Like 1

Thank you! 

It has algebra and some math (as you can see in those first two chapters in the 'preview' but he does it and the student follows along. I guess the student has to come up with the correct answer. To be honest, I haven't ever checked my son's math because he is beyond the math required from the course. He generally works ahead in his book and finds it easy. He is 3/4 of the way through AoPS algebra. Like I mentioned earlier, had I to do it again I would have put him in the Derek Owens physics class. I believe he describes that as an algebra based physics class. I usually see "Conceptual physics" described as "algebra based physics". Upper grade physics, for 11th or 12th graders, usually requires the student to have taken at least through Algebra 2 and is more of an applied math class.

As for how secular it is, so far, I haven't noticed anything veering into non-science areas.

There is this thread with more info:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/467693-derek-owens-physics-course-not-quite-secular/

Note that it is referring to the physics course, and not the physical science course.

• 11 months later...

Did you ever notice how you will hear about something new/interesting, and then it seems to pop up everywhere? I first heard of Novare yesterday on the high school board, and now here it is again:) I am thinking about their Chemistry for 10th, especially the labs. Anyway...

You could also look at CPO Physics First. You need some algebra, but mostly just to manipulate variables.

Thank you! 

My daughter is taking DO Physical Science concurrently with Algebra.  She is not finding it to be as easy math-wise/conceptually as another poster's child, but math has never been her strongest subject (she is a language girl, but still decent at math).  The first half of the year was more challenging for her.  I think we only have about 6 more weeks left of the program, and I am very happy that we used it.  I think it is preparing her well for high school.

We are secular homeschoolers (I am an atheist).  My daughter says that there was one time that DO said something along the lines of "that's the way god made it," but it was more just a passing remark and not really pertinent to the material at hand.  She is sensitive to and gets frustrated with materials that are religious  (complains), but we discussed for a minute and she laughed it off.  It was an unnecessary comment, but I understand that the video lectures come from a class Mr. Owens teaches at a religious co-op or something I think.  It may have been totally appropriate for that audience.  Other than that, there has been no religious material, and he is not teaching YE.  The focus is very much on science.

I have been so happy with the program that we will be continuing with his Physics program next year.

• Like 1

My daughter is taking DO Physical Science concurrently with Algebra.  She is not finding it to be as easy math-wise/conceptually as another poster's child, but math has never been her strongest subject (she is a language girl, but still decent at math).  The first half of the year was more challenging for her.  I think we only have about 6 more weeks left of the program, and I am very happy that we used it.  I think it is preparing her well for high school.

We are secular homeschoolers (I am an atheist).  My daughter says that there was one time that DO said something along the lines of "that's the way god made it," but it was more just a passing remark and not really pertinent to the material at hand.  She is sensitive to and gets frustrated with materials that are religious  (complains), but we discussed for a minute and she laughed it off.  It was an unnecessary comment, but I understand that the video lectures come from a class Mr. Owens teaches at a religious co-op or something I think.  It may have been totally appropriate for that audience.  Other than that, there has been no religious material, and he is not teaching YE.  The focus is very much on science.

I have been so happy with the program that we will be continuing with his Physics program next year.

Keep us posted on how it goes with the physics. Not as many people have used it, that I can tell, and I am always interested in knowing more about it.

How about the new Novare Physical Science or Introductory Physics for 9th-10th graders that came out last year. I've heard great things both from a friend of mine who teaches at a classical high school and the latest email from Cathy Duffy Reviews.

http://www.novarescienceandmath.com/

The Novare Physical Science is targeted for 11-14 years of age. How do I know? Just arrived in the mail today.  I'm kicking myself, because I think it is EXACTLY what I wanted this year. (We shelved Hewitt's Conceptual Integrated Science as a bit too much, too soon.)  I've only glanced through so far.  Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. But it looks like it may be 8th grade science around here.