Menu

Dr. Hive I need you!

Mynyel

I was going to say "should I be concerned" but since I am posting I guess I already am.

This is about my 5 (and half) year old. Here is the time line.

Thursday - We leave in the morning to go to Richmond for a debate tournament.

10(ish)pm - Friday night he starts complaining of his tummy hurting. I think it is gas since he has passed some already.

11pm - I wake him up gently to move him to his side of the bed, he was sleeping crossways. Within 2 minutes he throws up all over the bed, twice. Then the carpet and finally makes it to the bathroom where it tapered off.

11:15 he is acting fine (like you always do after that) and we move rooms at the hotel. Get back in bed and go to sleep.

4am - he wakes up and gets to the bathroom before he makes a mess. We go back to sleep and no more vomiting.

8ish am Saturday - we are awake but he is a tad lethargic. He also feels like he is running a fever.  He also start complaining of a headache. He is drinking fluids.

noon - Fever seems a little worse so we hit the store real quick for water, fruit, children's Motrin and a thermometer. Thermometer says 101.4. Give him a  dose and it helps the fever and headache.

7pm - We finally leave for home. He is lethargic and doesn't even get out of the vehicle for the duration of the trip. That is 7 hours. He had another dose of Motrin for his headache and barely drank and didn't eat.

2am (early Sunday) we finally are home and get to bed.

10am Sunday - He seems to be doing better. He wants to eat (egg salad) and has about half a sandwich. He goes outside to play with his brother.

10pm - He still seems OK but his appetite has been nil. He has barely eaten. He is drinking some fluids though not as much as I would like. No stools that I can remember and honestly I am unsure on going potty because he can go by himself and he doesn't always tell me.

8am Monday - He gets up and it is pretty much the same as Sunday. He plays outside but barely eats.

8am Tuesday - He gets the runs, has them most of the day. Still drinking fluids, still not eating much. Not nearly as animate as the previous two days. Complaining of his stomach hurting and his head again.

9pm Tuesday - He is really tires and falls asleep on the floor right after we finish playing a card game.

8am Today - Wakes up with his tummy hurting again and bloated a bit. No runs, hasn't peed yet today. He has had some fluid but not a lot. Had a headache again. He took motrin for that. He went back to sleep this morning about 9am or so and didn't get up until after 10am I think. He is asleep right now. He complains of his abdomen below his belly button hurting. If I press it then it hurts him.

Does this sound like anything you know of? I am thinking he should go to the doctors but I am not one of those that brings their kids for every single things.

What says the hive?

6 days of various GI issues+ not seeming to on the mend, would warrant a trip to the dr for me.

My guess is just a virus or bacteria that is working through his system, but I would want to rule out something worse at this point.  The continued pain is likely an irritation of the GI tract, the headache is likely a symptom of the illness or dehydration, the lethargy is lack of food or  general symptom.  I wouldn't expect the doctor to diagnose a problem, but would want to rule it out at this time.