Menu

Testing - 2nd grader

scbusf

DS is currently 7, will be 8 in July.  By age, I consider him to be in 2nd grade, but he is working ahead in Math (around the end of 3rd grade) and Reading (5th grade level).  His writing is behind, because of Dysgraphia.

My state requires standardized testing at the end of the school year.  I also would like to give him the CogAT.  In my state, I can't get the CogAT for 2nd grade.  I can get it for 3rd grade (Level A).  It's much cheaper to get it with the ITBS, also 3rd grade level (Level 9).

Will this work?  Giving him the ITBS and CogAT basically a year ahead of his age? Our state only requires him to be above something like the 24th percentile on the ITBS, so I'm not too worried about his "passing".  But I also don't want this to be a waste of time.  I'd like to get some helpful information and I figure since I have to test him anyway, I want to get the most bang for my buck!

I'd test at 3rd. My DD HATED the 1st and 2nd grade tests because so much was read to the kids and she couldn't work at her own pace because she didn't have instructions to work from. And, honestly, given where he's working, he's not likely to have problems on the reading/math. (Social studies/Science are very dependent on whether what you've done has matched the test, but in the early grades, it's a lot of general knowledge. I'm pretty sure most of my DD's high science scores on primary grades tests came from the Magic School bus). And you get much more useful information from a test where they don't get everything right than one where they do.

We always tested my son a bit ahead of where he was normally by age.  The test being at least partly challenging kept him engaged.  Without the engagement he wouldn't focus and the results would be ridiculous.  Secondly, it helped to tell him something like "this test is for a year older than you; if it is hard that is just fine."  It made him feel better about himself and not get bogged down with his perfectionism.

Personally, I see no point in giving the CogAT to a dysgraphic kid.  Where there is very likely to be a slow processing speed (motor) issue, the CogAT is not likely to be accurate.  The CogAT is just a group ability screening test anyway, not an official IQ test.  Accordingly, I don't think it's worth your money or your child's time.

My two older boys have taken the CogAT at school.  They both have slow-ish processing speed, as in single-digit percentiles on the Coding subtest of the WISC, though they do not have an official dysgraphia diagnosis at this time.  The CogAT was extremely inaccurate compared to private individual IQ testing.