Menu

Anyone been to NASA for a field trip?

MomOfOneFunOne

We're studying astronomy now and in a few weeks my husband will be going to Houston for work. We can go too, if we want, so I've been looking around to see what there is to do. I think going to NASA sounds fun . . . If they have a cool field trip.

Has anyone here been to NASA for a field trip? Do you have any tips to share? Anything we really ought to know?

My parents did the behind the scenes tour this summer. They said it was awesome! You have to book it ahead of time, and there is an age limit - i want to say 13 (because they said my oldest wouldn't be able to go). That was the first time they had been there, and they will go back.

We have passes to Kennedy here in FL and go when we can, so do go!

We're studying astronomy now and in a few weeks my husband will be going to Houston for work. We can go too, if we want, so I've been looking around to see what there is to do. I think going to NASA sounds fun . . . If they have a cool field trip.

Has anyone here been to NASA for a field trip? Do you have any tips to share? Anything we really ought to know?

I think the next few weeks will be a GREAT time to go, as it's likely to be uncrowded as the school year begins. Visit the natural science museum as well, they have an awesome observatory.

http://www.hmns.org/see_do/george_observatory.asp?r=1

We've been twice when they've had their homeschool days. It really is a blast and quite fun. Go enjoy, and have fun. They do have a trolley tour of NASA that everyone can go on. Let's you see the underwater tank they train in and everything. They do a very good job explaining space exploration.

My dh used to work there, he was the chef for the cafe, and although the food was good it was pricey.

At that time, it was possible to have your hand stamped, leave the building, and return. That way you can bring lunch in a cooler and eat at your car, or go somewhere else to eat (threre are quite a few restaurants within 5-10 minutes drive).

We live in the Houston area and have gone several times. The huge play tower is fabulous. We are going soon with my hubby's UK family who are coming to visit. Definitely go. Houston also has some wonderful museums. The Natural history mu. has lots of free exhibits and the attached Cockrel butterfly center is awesome. My kids love the Children's museaum and the health museam where you walk through the human body.

One of our fav of all time places is Schlitterbahn in Galveston. Absolutely the best waterpark.

I went in May. Here's a link to my blog post.

It was pretty cool! Lots of fun stuff to do. My mom had been there before and said that the tour is awesome. We didn't get to do it. There was a 45 minute wait and the kids were getting tired, little guy needed a diaper change (and none with me), etc, etc...

So if you go make sure you do the tour! :001_smile: