Menu

My poor husband - nothing major, just a bummer!

Mrs_JWM

My husband was nominated for and won a company-wide award - Innovator of the Year. Great!

He had to go to Phoenix to receive it and attend meetings. We live in upsate NY. Bummer.

We don't fly, so he reserved train accomodations, partly funded by some Amtrak vouchers that I had from an aborted trip out west last February, allowing us to get cash reimbursement for the vouchers. Great!

On Sunday, he looked at his tickets again in preparation for leaving that night...to find that the train actually left on Saturday. Bummer.

That wasn't exactly what he said when he found out. Great!

I said that he probably shouldn't mention this little snafu in his acceptance speech. He laughed heartily. Phew!

In the end, we'll be out some money from our vacation fund, which is fine because we are lucky enough to have a vacation fund. We'll also have a whole bunch of Amtrak vouchers again. Blargh! Our daughter gets motion-sick, which is why she and I headed for Utah for for a week but actually stayed in Chicago for a weekend instead.

I feel bad for my husband, though. He feels so stupid. He's very resilient, and he can handle the ribbing he'll get today. He may end up just flying out. He said last night, "I drove a vegetable-oil car for four years and I keep our house at 58*. I've done my part to reduce our carbon footprint!" Not that we couldn't do better - he was really just being jokily defiant. :) I love that man, and I just don't want him to feel too bad. He's not used to making mistakes. ;)

I had to tell someone, though. My mother knows, of course, and it'll come up with some local friends because we'll have to make some adjustments to our plans this week. I was so excited that I would have the car for a week and a bit more without having to drive him to work. One-car family - more carbon-footprint reduction! - and we have to leave at 6:30 if I want the car, so we only take it one day a week, and it was looking pretty sweet to me to be able to drive around town whenever I wanted to! ;) Kidding, kidding!

Thanks, guys - I needed to hear that! I'm not the resilient one in our family, especially when it comes to money. I've got a trip to Philadelphia coming up, so I can use some vouchers on that and all will be well. All is already well, but you know what I mean! :)

I almost did that once.  We had a travel agent arrange a trip for us and the hotel was over-booked, so the date on the original paperwork needed to be change.  They bumped the entire trip up a day.  Unfortunately, only the original date made it onto my calendar (and if it isn't on my calendar, it never happened).  Thankfully, a friend who was traveling with me called the day before with questions and clued me in.  

Hugs to you and your DH, and congratulations on his award.