Menu

Foerster Algebra

We're planning to use Foerster Algebra with the Math Without Borders DVDs for instruction. I'm capable of teaching algebra, but, let's just say this is a subject in which DS needs me to be mom, not teacher. :001_smile:  I also think it is critical at this stage for him to not self-teach, hence the videos. :001_smile: Anyway, I bought the textbook edition recommended by Math Without Borders. Here's a link: http://mathwithoutborders.com/?page_id=4

I probably could get by with an older edition instead, but I just wanted to get it over with and not have to worry about matching things up. There are several old threads on the high school board about buying Foerster and the ISBNs, and I recall at least one saying the editions haven't changed much since at least 1999 or 1994.

I also wanted the full step-by-step solutions manual (not just final answers to odd problems), and not being willing to pay the current exorbitant prices for it used, I registered with Pearson/Prentice Hall so I could buy it new directly from them. That process took a few days but was very simple to complete.

If you don't need/want the support resources I'll be using, then just ignore me. :001_smile:
Hopefully someone else with actual experience will chime in.

Taryn,

Oh, I need the support resources!  Do you have the link for the Pearson sign-up page?  I was at their site, but could not find the sign-up page/information. :blushing:

I know, their website isn't the easiest to navigate, LOL.  First you'll need to register for an OASIS account at this link.  Under new user, click register now.  That will get you started on the process.  Once your OASIS account is set up by them (I think it took just a couple of back and forth emails, and an electronic educator verification form), you can then order anything on their website and pay with a credit card (no need for a school purchase order).  There was a thread on all the OASIS registration steps on the high school board, and of course I can't find it now, but I didn't have any trouble with the process just a couple of months ago. HTH.

We're three chapters into Lial's Pre-Algebra, so I guess it's time to start worrying about algebra.  Sigh.

How do you find the Lial's book?  If it works for you, consider using Lial's Algebra book(s).  We were happy to use both her Beginning and Intermediate Algebra books with our daughter.

Regards,

Kareni

I have no idea how the price compares to buying directly from Pearson but HOD has Foerster's Algebra I (Prentice Hall Classics) for sale at their website in the new highschool guide section. You can also buy the DVD's from them. :)

HOD? As in Heart of Dakota, or are you referring to something else? Can you provide a link? Thanks.

ETA - I found it: http://www.heartofdakota.com/hearts-for-him-through-high-school-descriptions2.php

HOD's price is quite a bit more than Pearson's (the publisher) for the books. HOD also states they can't sell the solutions manual by itself, understandably, due to publisher restrictions. (Have to buy it in conjunction with student text. I bought my ST used to save $.) It is interesting that HOD is selling the MWB DVDs for a few dollars less than the MWB retail price. I wish I had known about this source a while back, so thank you for sharing it! Always nice to know of multiple sources for things!

HOD's price is quite a bit more than Pearson's (the publisher) for the books. HOD also states they can't sell the solutions manual by itself, understandably, due to publisher restrictions. (Have to buy it in conjunction with student text. I bought my ST used to save $.) It is interesting that HOD is selling the MWB DVDs for a few dollars less than the MWB retail price. I wish I had known about this source a while back, so thank you for sharing it! Always nice to know of multiple sources for things!

So how much is it from the publisher? I have been looking into Pre algebra and Algebra 1 options lately so that is why I noticed it was for sale there. ;) Sorry about leaving off the link. For some reason I thought I had added it.