Menu

Is DITHOR a good program for 2nd and 4th grade?

JLynn1347

I could not remember the name of this curriculum, but I was thinking about it this week. I was wondering if anyone was still USING it.

I'm figuring this is one of those curricula, that some people are hoarding, but not using. One of those things you cannot give away, but don't use.

I almost started a thread, but couldn't remember the name.

Listening in and giving you a bump. I'm looking at using Heart of Dakota in the future (5th grade). I like their book selections, but I don't think I will use DITHOR. I think that the same goals can be accomplished by reading and discussing literature. There are plenty of free worksheets and literature guides if we feel the need to throw them in. I hope you get some more feedback. I'm curious as well! :-)

We attempted to use it when my dd was in 2nd grade.  We only used it for one genre and then ditched it.  It's supposed to work with any book, but I didn't feel like a lot of the questions applied to the book we were reading which happened to be one of HOD's recommendations.   I was thinking of possibly doing it again next year for her 4th grade year, but I most likely will just choose literature guides that go along with specific books.  

I use it for my 5th grader but not my 2nd grader. I personally think it is good for maybe 4th-5th grade and up. I much prefer the 4/5 student workbook to the 2/3 workbook. The 4/5 one can be used much more independently and I rarely even have to look at the TM. With the 2/3 one much of the teaching comes from the TM. I started it in 3rd grade for my ds but we only ended up using the workbook part of the year and then he just read the books. He has used it all year for 4th and 5th. I really like the variety of genres covered and my ds likes doing the book projects at the end. I feel it is easy to adapt to what you want to do. :)

Twoxcell...so do you feel that the teacher's manual is optional for 4/5?

Well I'm sure technically no, but I don't use it that often with the 4/5 workbook. The workbook pages are very self explanatory at that level and I use the book projects books for the project. There are genre kick off ideas in the TM and some days there is added teacher directed info in the TM but the majority of days are independent for the 4/5 level. For me it would feel like overkill to do every worksheet and teacher directed page in the TM. I just do the parts we have time for and/or I find necessary. Since he will be using the program for several years, in the end we will have hit most of topics. I'm not sure if that makes sense. I thought about trying out some other literature studies but I just did not see anything that was as flexible and affordable for us. I bought the TM used and I pick up pretty much all of our lit books at thrift stores and used books stores. We have enjoyed HOD book pack selections but I also like that we can use any book we want.

twoxcell...Do you follow the schedule exactly?  Do you get through all 9 genres each year?  Or just do it a few days a week?  On average, how long a day do you think is spent on it?

Jennifer

No I do not follow the schedule exactly. I like to use DITHOR as a guide and I pick and choose what parts I want to use. Like I said previously he will be using it for several years and going through the genres multiple times each so we will hit most of the material before we are through. I try to have him get through the book in a timely manner but some books just take longer, such as the Hobbit, which he read last fall. Also if you are using DITHOR along with HOD the only guide that you would complete all 9 genres with is Bigger Hearts. With all of the later guides it is only scheduled 3 days a week so the idea is to do half one year and half the next. We do about 5 a year. I honestly do not know the exact length. I generally show him what pages he needs to complete and kinda explain what he is doing and then he goes off to read and finish the worksheet if there is one for the day. I'm usually working with my dd's at that time. I will be honest and say that some books we have done more work with then others. It just depends on how busy or motivated for school we are at the time. In the fall when he did the Hobbit we ended up doing the most with that book for this school year. He really liked making his own movie poster and description of the book. :) Last year his favorite book was Little Pilgrim's Progress and he made a big long fold out map of Christian's journey. That project was our own idea since he had previously done the other options. I'm not sure yet if I will have my dd start DITHOR next year for 3rd or wait until 4th, but mostly likely it will be 4th. HTH

Is there just one DITHOR book now? Didn't there used to be a bunch of pieces at different levels?

There is a TM that is used for all levels and Genres. It has directions for 2/3, 4/5, and 6/7/8 as well as end of book project ideas, genre kick off(which we don't even always do especially now that my ds is very familiar with the different genres.), and end of book project ideas. There is also a separate workbook for 2/3, 4/5, and 6/7/8. You can use the book project ideas from the TM or get the Book Projects to take home books and the TM will tell you what pages to use for each genre. HOD also sells DITHOR book packs but you can use any book you want.